Start a Conversation

Unsolved

15 Posts

November 10th, 2018 18:00

While doing ESRS configuration which email address to give

Hi

We need to setup Centralized ESRS with VE version for Unity All flash array.   While configuring ESRS, in the  configuration step , there is a tab for Email configuration.  In this step do we need to provide customer's SMTP server IP and in recipient field do we need to give Customer's email address ?  If yes, then why do we need to provide customer's SMTP ?  If ESRS IP connectivity to EMC Backend fails then does it means it will use customer's SMTP to push the alerts & files to EMC Backend ?

In addition to this, in the Unity Array also under connectEMC section do we need to give Email details.  Here SMTP mail server is ESRS/VE IP and recipient should be EMAILALERT@EMC.COM

Could any one explain why we are giving customer SMTP and why ESRS Server IP in array ?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

November 10th, 2018 18:00

ESRS Configuration Tab in ESRSVE GW is for notification from ESRSVE to customer and failover dailhome method via SMTP.

You do not have to configure it, it's a option, not mandatory.

SMTP section for Unity array seems to be for Emailhome.

I do not know well about the latest version of Unity but in past Unity can configure only either of both ESRS dialhome and Emailhome.

If you want to configure Emailhome other than ESRSVE dialhome via RESTAPI, you can set either customer supplied SMTP server or ESRSVE IP address.

But most commonly, it should be the customer supplied SMTP server IP because if it is ESRSVE IP you should use to RESTAPI method to dialhome from Unity.

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

November 10th, 2018 19:00

if you are unsure the procedure or how it works, that sounds like it'd better to call or email Dell EMC.

15 Posts

Ok...Thanks Naoyuki

Imagine I am the customer and I need to provide my SMTP server IP for ESRS config.  So as a customer do I need to do any configuration changes on my end (customer end) while giving this SMTP server IP ?

4 Operator

• 

1.8K Posts

Sorry, I thought you were employee.

Generally speaking, ESRS can be installed and configured by customer.

If you think you would like to use failover  feature of dialhome and use SMTP as secondary trasfer method, you can do configuration change or ask Dell EMC personnel to do it for you.

Actually, i think it's quicker  to do by yourselves than done by Dell EMC.

26 Posts

November 12th, 2018 00:00

Just some points regarding the SMTP setup in ESRS

• main function is to inform the customer about issues, available updates etc
  • it is possible to user SMTP as failover channel to send files to Dell EMC by mail
  • you will need to ensure that the SMTP server accepts mails from ESRS for internal delivery. If it is to be used for call home failover, the SMTP server needs to allow relay to emc.com domain
  • It is recommended to choose a sender address which identifies the ESRS instance sending the mail, like hostname or serial number.
  • If any changes in the SMTP server configuration are necessary depends on the existing settings and which functions are to be used, internal only or call home failover. Dell EMC support can assist with testing and resolving issues if anything come up
No Events found!