Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

August 25th, 2010 07:00

Access port discovery

Hi

Could someone explain how SMARTs IP manager decides why it should unmanaged an access port or not discover an access port. As I have an issue where soem devices have an access port discovered and unmanaged and on other devices it does not discover the port at all.

Thanks in advance

James

18 Posts

August 25th, 2010 17:00

Hi James,

By default all ports are Unmanaged when they are discovered in by an IP Domain Manager.  Then, if an associated connection is discovered  the port will be set to IsManaged == TRUE.

Also, IP labels the ports as ACCESS ports when they are connected to a system interface, and TRUNK if connected to another port (as can be verified by the PortType and NeighboringSystems port attributes).  Furthermore, if a port has no connection, then PortType will default to ACCESS.  If the corresponding MIB walk data contradicts these values, then there is an issue with the discovery.

Regarding why an existing port is discovered, 2 things to check are:

• A MIB walk of the device in question to see if it includes the missing port
  • The  tpmgr-param.conf file to see if there are any settings configured which may be excluding the port in question from being discovered.

If you require more in depth assistance with any of the above, I recommend that you raise a service request with EMC support to quicken the troubleshooting process.

Kind Regards,
Louie Cavaliere
EMC Global Support

20 Posts

August 26th, 2010 01:00

Hi Louie

Thanks for the reply,

I have one more question , could the containment in the oid2type_Cisco.conf file also decide which ports should be kept as I have seen references that if you change the CONT type then some ports could be included or excluded depending on which one you choose.

Thanks

James

18 Posts

August 26th, 2010 20:00

Hi James,

It is not possible to speak too generally about the CONT types, as with VLAN, BRIDGE and NEIGHBOR, etc.  There is always the potential for the associated code to be updated to cater for new discovery techniques which may result in pruned ports either by design or introduced bugs.  Due to the underlying complexity, each such scenario needs to be treated on a case by case basis.

However, it is always worthwhile to try and determine if the issue is related to a particular certification by trying replicate the given issue on different devices with the same sysOID.  This forms a good basis for any formal investigation you raise with EMC support.

Kind Regards,

Louie Cavaliere

EMC Global Support

20 Posts

August 27th, 2010 00:00

Hi Louie,

Thanks for the input, I will do some testing and if still having issues will log a ticket with EMC.

Thanks for your help

James

November 25th, 2013 11:00

Hi Loiue,

How can I test manually in the Smart and/or in the equipment if there is a "associated connection" with a Port/Interface?

Thanks, Rudolfo.

November 26th, 2013 07:00

Hello Rudolfo,

An associated connection is basically the presence of an IP address associated with a port and that port associated with an interface for the creation of ports.  This information is all based off of what is found in the MIB-II mib.  Interfaces are a little bit more complex cause they can bridge multiple types of communications.  We basically create an interface if we have an ifIndex and an ifType due to the fact that interfaces may not have an IP address associated with them nor actually have a connection to anything else.

The best way I can suggest for testing a device to see if it has an "associated connection" is to check the devices interface and view what IPs are associated to what ports, then see if the Smarts software is representing the same information.

I hope this answers your questions Rudolfo.

Cheers,
Sean

No Events found!