Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2016 03:00

copying data from centera to data domain

We are currently upgrading sourceone from 7.1 to 7.2 and moving all existing archives to our new data domain storage.

to my understanding the only way to do this is using the sourceone search to 'copy to' the new archive.

unfortunately this means we can only copy the maximum number of search results(5000 messages) which consumes alot of time as we have over 8000 messages archived per day.

Is there any other way to migrate the data? if not is there anyway to speed up the process.

thanks

208 Posts

November 13th, 2016 10:00

Hello Adel.Ahmed 

There aren't good built-in tools to efficiently move S1 data from Centera to other storage platforms. That is why my company worked with EMC to develop a compliant certified storage migration service for SourceOne.  We can copy your Centera email archives to a CIFS share hosted on your Data Domain at up to 10 TB/day preserving your current retention settings, verify all the data and then update your S1 database to reflect the new location of the archives.  The Centera data is unaffected and serves as a backup copy if we need to roll back during the cutover procedure (hasn't happened yet over dozens of successful engagements).

You can reach out to us for more information at info@interlock-tech.com.

Best Regards,

Mike Horgan

CTO, Interlock Technology Inc.

1 Message

November 14th, 2016 00:00

Hi,

please note if amount of messages to migrate isn't too much you can increase Web search results to 1 milion-1 each time.

You have just to change some parameters in Console->Application configuration->Web Search then:

- in client setting tab change field Maximum results to 999999.

- in server setting tab uncheck "limit maximum server results"

In this way you can migrate block of results 1million-1 each time.

I did it for a customer using data between filters to identify correct block.

Obviously if amounts is too big (hundreds of million emails) it could be reasonable take in consideration Interlock-tech tool.

I faced such problems with some of my customers too.

It wasn't acceptable for them to spend moneys for external tool to do it, they expected EMC would include a tool for free.

Best regards

114 Posts

November 15th, 2016 12:00

Please note that TransVault Software is also a great utility which can help you to migrate data over to Data Domain.

Feel free to contact us: www.panoptic.biz

25 Posts

November 19th, 2016 17:00

Doing the migration via search (which by the way you can do more than 5,000 at a time) will be as you noted highly manual and you could run into chain of custody issues if you do not track and assign this correctly.

To do direct Centera to DataDomain, you would want to leverage a migration tool, of which there are several good ones to choose from (Data Trust, TransVault, Data Dobi are all solid solutions and would do the job).

The main thing about the migration will be sure to have the blobs and clips correctly disassembled from the Centera then have the data correctly reassembled on the Data Domain.

You EMC account manager (or EMC reseller) should be able to get you connected with someone.  Depending on where you are, be sure that whoever is doing the work is well versed in SourceOne as well as the migration from Centera to DataDomain.

Keep in mind going to the Data Domain, you don't want to enable de-dup on the DD.  Be sure to review the configuration guides for how to configure the DD device correctly for SourceOne.

Have been around the block a few times on this for customers and can help you out.

Just so you do know, other than using Search or by trying to reprocess this out and back in via PST, this is going to cost some money.  Most of the migration solutions will charge by the TB.

Walt Burton    Sr. Systems Engineer

Paradise Canyon Systems

Off  866.891.8411 X110

Direct 847.380.3365

Cell 847.910.1334

Fax 808.587.7907

walt.burton@paradisecyn.com

114 Posts

November 20th, 2016 23:00

More information on the 'you don't want to enable de-dup on DD' please?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 23rd, 2017 07:00

I know this is an old thread but I wanted to post an update for anyone who may come across this.

Dell EMC professional services can now offer a variety of solutions for these types of storage and data moves.

The SourceOne Specialized Delivery Group has solutions specifically targeting SourceOne environments where not only moving the data, but making sure SourceOne works afterwards are key elements to the project.

Jay Rosenthal

Consultant Solutions Architect

Dell EMC , SourceOne Specialized Services Delivery Group

1 Message

October 6th, 2019 01:00

Hi Walt, Thanks for the inputs! Is there any document or manual which can guide on manual migration via search? It will be a great help

Thanks,

Himanshu Dubey

25 Posts

December 4th, 2019 11:00

doing this manually, the best S1 doc reference is simply the SourceOne Search guide.  What you will want to do is increase the number of results the search can return in the S1 Admin console in Search settings.  Then in the web interface, up the number of results to the maximum 1 million at a time.  Also be sure to select to de-duplicate results so you are getting unique items only.

When you do this search, it will take a long time to get results and to copy.  Keep in mind that the only way to effectively limit the search is by dates in the case in which you are working.  Also, 1 million is a relatively small number of emails.

I am working on a Centera migration right now for a small archive (less than 1 TB) and the number of emails in that 1TB is about 90 million.  So expect to run A LOT of searches and be patient on the time to copy.  You could be looking at many months (or much much longer) to do this migration via S1 Search.  S1 Search is not designed to do this kind of work, but it can.

I would advocate one of the Centera migration tools (there are ones mentioned in this thread, I have worked with the three I have mentioned in my original posting) if you have anything more than a few months of data to move.  I would not want to do a migration via search if you are looking at anything on the order of anything more than 1 or 2 TB of data (and that will be a rather painful amount to do this way).

No Events found!