Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2016 06:00

2TB HD +32GB M.2 SSD Cache, Status:Incompatible in Intel Rapid Storage

I have an XPS 8900 with a 2TB HD +32GB M.2 SSD Cache. I get Status:Incompatible Usage:Unknown in the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Manage Tab for a Liteon 30GB SATA SDD. It seems that the 32 SDD is not being used as a cache.

This is happening after changing the SATA controler to AHCI in the BIOS setup so that my Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB would work better and doing a clean Windows 10 install using the 250GB SSD as the system disk.

Searching for this issue I get the impression that for the 32GB SSD to work as cache, I may need to set the SATA controller to RAID, but this may be incompatible with what I need for the 250 SSD.

Where can I find instruction for making the 32GB SSD work as a cache and still being able to use the 250GB SSD as the sytem drive?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 11th, 2016 03:00

You are better off removing the cache drive -- it's not needed for use with the solid state main drive.

14 Posts

January 11th, 2016 05:00

In addition to the 250GB SSD I want to use the 2TB hard drive for user files. I thought that the 32GB SSD working as a cache would speed up the 2TB hard drive. Am I wrong about this?

3 Posts

June 16th, 2018 11:00

On boot up hit F2 to enter "setup". Open the drives tab and uncheck only the INTEL 32gb drive that is set to SATA. Leave all other drives checked. Save the settings as a user profile and exit. I was having the same frustrating issue. This is what I tried and I've had no more issues. I'm using  a Samsung 250gb SSD for my C: drive. I've also installed a Samsung 500gb SSD and a 1TB drive which is not SSD. Everything works fine. The 32gb drive won't even show up in the list of drives, because it's not supposed to. It's a cache drive. Hope this helps. I may have repeated this message as I don't think I was logged in the first time a posted. Enjoy!

3 Posts

You need the cache drive, just not set up as SATA. F2 on boot to enter "Set Up" system configuration. Open the drives tab. UNCHECK the box that is INTEL 32gb. Leave the other drives checked. Save the profile and exit. Everything will work 100%.   I'm running SAMSUNG 250 Gb SSD as my system drive. SAMSUNG 500 Gb SSD as storage along with a 1TB hard disk drive. My computer is DELL XPS 8900 so this should work for you. Cheers!

David

3 Posts

I wouldn't do that. The cache drive is for the system. Go to "F2"  at boot up. Go to drives. Remove the check mark from the drive that identifies as (SATA) INTEL 32gb. Save the profile and exit. The cache drive is needed. 

No Events found!