Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 28th, 2011 23:00

2TB Seagate Barracuda XT on Pecision T3400

Hello,

I'm curious if it is possilbe to run a 2TB Seagate Barracuda XT (ST32000641AS) on a Dell Precision T3400.

I purchased that HDD an have problems installing it. The max. Size for a HDD i found was only 1TB...

What's wrong with the 2TB??

Cheers,

Jay

6.4K Posts

September 29th, 2011 10:00

During what part of your installation process are you encountering the limit?  If the hardware is telling you it can't see a 2 TB drive you might get a better answer posting in the Servers or Storage forums due to the nature of the controller used in that type of machine.  If it is the operating system that can't seem to see the drive the problem is most likely a driver that requires updating.  If that is a possibility, and the driver you use is the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver, you should make sure you have the most recent version.  RST was having trouble seeing large drives last year and Intel issued an update.

2 Posts

September 29th, 2011 18:00

Right in the BIOS. BIOS recognises the HDD with only 4.1GB or so.

I'm not sure if that's problem with the BIOS or SATA controller (on-board). I don't know if the are Firmware updates available... At least I couldn't find any suitable.

No Events found!