Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2010 07:00

40 GB Hard Drive

Someone gave me a Maxtor 40 GB hard drive that I'd like to put in my Dell Dimension 5150. I opened the case, and there is a slot for another drive, but the connections are not the same. The Maxor drive has the standard 39 pin data connection with a 4 pin power connection. The existing drive has a much smaller data connection as well as the power. Is there some sort of an adapter that I can use to hook this up?

Any help would be appreciated.

6.4K Posts

April 12th, 2010 13:00

Your Dimension 5150 only supports SATA drives, which is why you see a different type of power and data cable on the drive that you have in the computer.  The easiest way to solve your problem is to purchase an external, USB interfaced, drive shell.  By installing the 40 GB drive into the external shell you can use it on any computer having USB ports.

It is also possible to install the drive into the computer if you must do that.  You will need to have either a PCI card IDE/PATA hard drive controller installed into an available slot or you will need to purchase a SATA to IDE adapter.  Getting either of these to work can be challenging, but it is possible.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

April 12th, 2010 13:00

carrstuff

Sounds like the 40gb hard drive is a 40-pin IDE drive and not SATA.

If there is one optical drive installed, you could install the IDE/ATA hard drive in the 5.25" internal open bay and connect it to the end IDE cable connector. Set the hard drive jumpers to 'Cable Select'

You will require a 3.5"- HD Bracket to install the drive in the internal 5.25" bay, similar to this.

Two optical drives installed: Use a powered external IDE USB 2.0 hard drive enclosure, this is the method I used for my Inspiron 530 to install a IDE HD for additional storage. [The easiest procedure to add an IDE hard drive].

Use a PCI IDE controller card and install the hard drive inside the case and connect it to the controller.

Use a IDE to SATA adaptor similar to THIS, but prior to purchasing the adaptor, check that there is space for the adaptor inside the case.

Bev.

No Events found!