Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 18th, 2006 15:00

8X dual layer Verbatim DVDs burn at 2.4X on TS-H553A Dell drive

I have been burning dual layer Verbatim DVDs at 8X for about a year now on my old computer which had a Plexor dual layer DVD burner.  My new Dell XPS 410 with a TS-H553A DVD burner will only burn them at 2.4X.  Whats the deal?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 18th, 2006 16:00

bpratt293,

I would like to see how the drive is notated on your invoice. Private message me the service tag number.

940 Posts

December 19th, 2006 20:00

I am curious about this too. I recently purchased the 410 and it has the same DVD burner. I have had nothing but trouble with it. Burning an AVI to DVD takes me 1 to 2 hours when it does work. It will not work with Nero and only three times so far with MyDVD LE. I have only gotten Ulead's DVD Maker 2 to work every time, but like I say the proccess takes as long as 2 hours. I have called support on this a number of times with no resolution yet. My old computer is an HP Pavilion Pentium 4 3.4 HT, 2gb Ram with an HP DVD+-RW and it would burn every time without fail, and it would take between 45 min and 1hr 15 min. I would think a Core 2 Duo, 3gb, all Sata drive, a dedicated 400GB just for the burning would have no problem and even improve the proccess. My invoice shows that my system should have shipped with an NEC DVD+-RW but that is not what I got and I did bring that up to the tech and he said it was the same thing. YEAH RIGHT!!!!!
Chris do you have any suggestions?

Here is the post I originally started

Message Edited by dcgtls on 12-21-200609:39 AM

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 20th, 2006 11:00

I am checking. I find it very odd that the TS-H553A is not listed in the DVD+/-RW Manuals.

I did find the data transfer rates of the other TSST DVD+/-RW drives -
TS-L532B DL DVD+R at 6x
TS-L632D DL DVD+R at 6x
TS-H653A DL DVD+R at 8x

7 Posts

December 20th, 2006 17:00

I just did an AVI to 16X single layer DVD using Nero 7.0, and it worked great.  To process and burn the DVD only took about 20 minutes and it burned it at 16X.  Now if I could only get the 8X dual layer DVDs to burn at their rated speed. 

940 Posts

December 20th, 2006 17:00

How large was the AVI? The ones I work with are all around 700mb and Divx encoded full length movies.  I can burn a full data DVD in 5 minutes using Nero without any problems. I just have all of my issuses doing videos, and it does not matter what software package I use. I have tried Roxio MYDVD, Roxio 9, Nero 6, Nero 7, Ulead DVD Maker 2, Ulead Movie Factory, Adobe Encore, Xilsoft Avi to DVD and a few others and every single one of them has had problems. I am going to try using an external USB 2.0 Plextor PX-708UF2 tonight and see what happens.
  There has to be some reason this XPS 410 takes an hour to transcode and then fails when writing to the disk with different errors, or when it does write it will take up to 45 minutes. Like I said earlier, my last computer the proccess took less than an hour with the same software and files.
  I was reading some other posts regarding the Raid settings in the Bios being set to ON verses ACHI could cause problems with how a SATA burner can function. I had questioned Dell tech support on this setting when I first recieved the system with a single drive installed and could not boot from a CD that went into any type of WINPE envirenement and was told that the setting had to be left set to ON.
  I may save a new Ghost image of my C drive and then turn the Raid to ACHI instead of on and format the drive and reinstall from disk again and see what happens.

Message Edited by dcgtls on 12-20-200601:35 PM

7 Posts

December 20th, 2006 19:00

The AVI file I was using is about 6.3 Gig and was input from a Panasonic Video camera.  Nero took about 9 minutes doing transcoding and 6 minutes to burn the DVD.  I originally reported 20 minutes, but that was a guess.  I ran it again to get more accurate times.  I have made no changes to RAID or anything else since I got my system, but I do not use RAID.  Here is what I have:

XPS 410
Core 2 Duo 2.66GHz (6700)
2GB Ram (2x1gb)
nVidia GeForce 7300LE 256mb
XP MCE 2005 SP2
500GB Western Digital HDD
500GB Seagate HDD
TSSTcorp TS-H553A DVD+-RW
18" NEC LCD Monitor 

126 Posts

December 21st, 2006 10:00

@Anonymous-ChrisM wrote:
I am checking. I find it very odd that the TS-H553A is not listed in the DVD+/-RW Manuals.

I did find the data transfer rates of the other TSST DVD+/-RW drives -
TS-L532B DL DVD+R at 6x
TS-L632D DL DVD+R at 6x
TS-H653A DL DVD+R at 8x

This is odd that you can't find the drive manual? My 410 delivered this past September came with an HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H31N drive and Dell has never listed a manual for that one either! Nope, never been able to find one on-line at all...

The manual section is old and not up-to-date. There is GSA H21N listed, but not a H31N.

940 Posts

December 21st, 2006 15:00

OK last night I connected the Plextor USB DVD+-RW and everything I tried in every application burned without error. The transcoding part is still taking longer than it should but I have proven that the problem is either hardware incompatability or bad hardware. I even tried one of the same files on my stepdaughters XPS 600 last night and it only took 30 minutes total using Nero 6 and she only has 1gb and a a slower system than mine. I am getting so frustrated.

7 Posts

December 22nd, 2006 21:00

Chris
From my research it appears the TS-H553A Dell drive is a re-branded Samsung SH-W163A.  The manual for the Samsung drive says it will burn 8X dual layer DVDs at 8X.  Is there a firmware upgrade from Dell that will allow me to burn at the rated speed?  Will firmware for the Samsung SH-W163A work properly on the Dell TS-H553A drive?

48 Posts

December 24th, 2006 17:00

ChrisM:

Please note that with my XPS-210 order it states a 8X drive for the 8x drive I ordered. While the note above for the same drive says it is a 6X. This again is more Dell misdirecting us I guess. My hardware manager says I have a TSST corp DVD+-RW TS-L632D drive.

I also noted that in my Dell 8100 that my Sony DVD could read and write reliably much faster than what I so far have seen with this new DVD drive. It just seems only to want to write CDs at around 4x for me. For the CD it is supposed to be a 24x model I thought.

Somewhere else in the forum you can find a reference to my drive being junk. Maybe that is why when I load a particular CD it sound like a plane flying low over my house.

Is there a plan for Dell to do a recall on these drives?

Message Edited by slwiser1 on 12-24-200601:50 PM

940 Posts

December 24th, 2006 18:00

ChrisM,

Are you still looking into this? Dell tech support seems to think this is the same drive as the NEC that my invoice shows. There are days that I am embaressed to admit I am a certified Dell tech. Since I have been using the external burner I have done about 20 disks without a problem. I have tried using the TS-H553A a few more times and have a few coasters to show for it. I can however burn a data DVD with it that is almost completely full in less than 5 minutes without error.  I have double checked all of my codecs and even reinstalled them all just to be sure none of them were corrupt, installed Gspot and AVIcodec to check the codec that each .avi file needed and that it was installed correctly and functioning right. I have considered moving the burner to my old computer but it only has 2 SATA connections both of which are in use by the HDD's and the problem with removing the second drive is that it is the dedicated drive for video editing and is were all my editing software is installed.

So HELP HELP HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
BTW I only have the external for a short time, I am borrowing it from work.

Message Edited by dcgtls on 12-24-200612:31 PM

591 Posts

December 24th, 2006 20:00

I have the same drive in my 410 but haven't used it to burn anything.  are they saying we received the wrong burner?

940 Posts

December 29th, 2006 18:00

Well I have finally tried to burn a data DVD+R/DL and every application says 2.4 max for this drive. As you can see from the link below it should clearly burn at 8x. There is deffinitly a major problem with this drive and I am not the only person having the problem. Why has Dell not updated the manuals for this and other drives? Why is it that my invoice shows an NEC drive and I get this piece of garbage and the tech says it is the same thing? What can be done to correct the problem? I need to have a good stable, reliable DVD burner. ChrisM where have you gone? Have you foresaken us on this?

http://www.disc-info.com/content/view/90/2/

7 Posts

December 29th, 2006 19:00

Thank you dcgtls for the link to the site that shows the Dell TS-H553A should burn DVD+R/DL at 8X.  I use Verbatim 8X DL DVDs and they burn at 8X using my old computer with a Plextor PX-740A dirve, but after trying several burning programs on the Dell drive, they always burn at 2.4X.  ChrisM, where are you???

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 30th, 2006 23:00

All,

Has anyone tried non-Verbatim 8X dual layer DVDs? Since we do not have a bios flash for the TS-H553A to backflash, I would not try flashing it with the Samsung SH-W163A.
No Events found!