Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 24th, 2009 20:00

ABC's

I had to reinstall my XP operating system.  One of the resulting glitches from that is the order in which My Computer identifies my removable media drives. 

Originally, my topmost computer drive (DVD-ROM) was drive "D", the one below it (CD-RW) was drive "E".  The floppy "A" drive below that.  That's standard layout.  Then the external DVD burner I added last year became drive "F", the card reader drive on my printer was drive "G", my external hard drive was "H", and so on. 

After the OS install, something got messed up somehow, and now the external DVD burner is "D", the topmost DVD-ROM is "E", and the CD-RW is "F".

For familiarity's sake and to keep things correctly oriented, I'd like to get the drives all back to their regular stations.  But I've fished around with "Properties" and "Device Manager", and can't see how to get them properly recognized relative to one another - DVD-ROM "D", CD-RW "E", and the DVD burner "F".   I tried unplugging the external burner and rebooting, hoping that would cause a re-ordering of recognized hardware, but it didn't work.  It just came back up with no drive "D", until I plugged the burner back in... at that point it again became drive "D".

How can I re-identify these drives?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 25th, 2009 14:00

haf Canadian    

The directions for Changing the Drive Letter Assignments in XP are HERE.

Bev.

41 Posts

February 26th, 2009 14:00

I did reconfigure the drive letters as you advised, using those directions.  But in testing the drives afterward, I realized that the Dell Musicmatch Jukebox, that's supposed to work to play audio disks, wasn't working.  Windows Media Player would play the initial song on a CD, but not move to the next one.  And the normal audio features control window won't come up;  I think it was part of the Jukebox program.  Clicking on Musicmatch Jukebox in Programs or its taskbar icon produces an hourglass for 10 seconds, then nothing appears.  Then the entire computer started not loading some windows properly and slowing down and stalling.  The Jukebox icon disappears entirely from the taskbar.  Windows would not Restart.  Would not Shut Down.  I had to force a shut down by holding the on/off button in for 6 secs. on the case. 

I finally did a System Restore, which got the computer to run well, but which took the D, E, and F drives back to their misconfigured status.  I don't really know if it was my attempt to rectify the drive letter issue, or the glitch in Dell Musicmatch Jukebox that fouled the whole computer.  Another note:  I inadvertantly discovered that my Recycling Bin had 11 files in it, but they don't appear in the Recycling Bin window, so I don't know what they are.  I emptied the Bin anyway.  Cheez, will this rig ever get back to normal? 

No Events found!