Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 3rd, 2005 20:00

ATAPI drive won't read Recovery CD

I'm trying to completely reformat the hard drive on my XPS T700r and re-install Windows 98 SE. I've already saved everything I want to save on a USB Jumpdrive (or Flashdrive, or whatever!)

I have the purple Product Recovery CD that came with the system (back in 2000-2001, I think)

I set the Bios to boot off of the Atapi CD drive, and I get all the way to the window that lets me select "Reformat Hard Drive", or something like that (it's the most extreme of the 4 options they give you). 

But then I get a message saying that the Recovery File can't be located, and I should make sure the disc is in the drive.  Since it's already booted from this drive, can it be a drive problem, or is it more likely a disc problem?  When I put the same disc in the CD drive of anther computer, I can't even pull up a list of the files in Windows Explorer, so that makes me think there's something wrong with the disc itself.

On the Dell, I do have another CDRW drive I could try to use, but how do I get the BIOS to go there for bootup?  It doesn't even show up as an option in BIOS?

10.9K Posts

April 3rd, 2005 20:00

If you want to both from the other drive you will have to physically switch it with
the one you were using.  The system from the BIOS will only boot from the drive that
is in the Master position.

It sounds like your CD Drive is functioning fine.  If the other drive does the same
thing, you may want to post this in the Software - Windows 98/95/3.11/DOS board
where they are familiar with installation issues.
No Events found!