Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

September 23rd, 2007 15:00

Assemble Hard Drive

My hard drive just kick the bucket last night. I plan to buy a 40GB (5400rpm) 8MB Cache 2.5" Hard Drive for my Inspiron 5100. I notice the pic doesn't really look like my current hard drive so I scrolled down I and saw "Hard drive requires the reuse of your hard drive carrier/caddy, screws, and end pin adapter. This should be installed by a qualified tech, otherwise you can purchase the full hard drive customer assembly kits below for specific models" I have the all the screws caddy,etc from my old hard drive but the only thing that concern me is the button of the hard drive looks a bit different than the one I plan to get. I guess this is where the qualified tech comes in. Is there any step by step instructions i can use to assemble on my own with my old parts or will i have to go to a tech at a hard ware store? thanks in advance

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 23rd, 2007 16:00

Remove the drive from the system, remove the four screws from the bottom of the carrier, and release the drive. Pull the adapter off the back of the drive (carefully) and place it (carefully) the same way over the pins on the new drive. Reverse the removal instructions. Note that the adapter IS KEYED (one plug is plugged on the lower row of holes) so be gentle when you remove and replace it.

1 Rookie

• 

100 Posts

September 25th, 2007 07:00

No Events found!