Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 14th, 2010 07:00

Blu-ray problems

I just bought a Studio 1555 Notebook with Windows 7 Professional .  Included was a read and write blu-ray drive. Also included was Cyberlink Power DVD 8.3 Blu-Ray disk playback. The problem I am having when playing a blu-ray disk movie is that after about a minute or so into the movie the drive starts reading which causes a glitch or hesitation of the video and audio while viewing the display. This problem continues to get worse as the movie keeps playing. The drive seems to read slower and slower which causes the hesitation effect to get longer the farther you get  towards the end of the disk.  So far Dell support has not been able to help me, and they want more money to solve probable software issues. I feel that my new computer should work properly when I take it out of the box without paying additional money to fix certain problems. Does anyone else have similar Blu-Ray problems and is there a solution?  Thanks! 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 14th, 2010 17:00

Hi, Tram36:

We have seen this happen when Dell DataSafe is enabled. Try disabling Dell DataSafe and see if things improve.

The problem is that the DataSafe utility polls removable drives, which it really shouldn't do. I don't know enough about it to tell you how to make it ignore your BR drive.

2 Posts

January 21st, 2010 12:00

I haven't got an answer for you, but this is also my problem - EXACTLY - with my new Dell with the Blu Ray player that was supposed to be working when I got it.  After wasting more than 11 hours watching Dell technicians install and reinstall the same software over and over (and also downloading several sketchy looking little players from free sites, none of which worked either) I have been told that the product people will call me with a solution on Friday.  The technicians who have tried to help me so far have

Techician A) no concept of time zones - I have made repeated appointments with one technician for a certain time that I will be home and not at work, explaining that I am in a time zone so far distant from her physical location that I am not even on the same date as she is so she MUST take care to call on Pacific Standard Time, not from whatever she's on - and she consistently calls when I am NOT home and then just leaves snippy messages about how I'm not available (!), I checked the service calls record and find that she's consistently been calling at the times I suggested, but in HER time zone, not MINE.

Technician B) better service, but when he couldn't get the thing to run he said he needed to do more research and that he'd call me back the next day.  After waiting for 3 hours past the agreed time with no call I gave up.

Technician C) tried very hard, especially considering that I was riding her butt for two hours while she did the same things the previous two technicians had done, with the same result (excpet that she ended up simply making it worse, even downloading something that made my system unstable). 

Manager A) apparently majored in phony placation, but not a lot else.

So, I'll believe that the product management people will call when I hear the phone - Dell has ZERO credibility with me at this point - but if they tell me they want yet more money to fix a problem they were at fault for in the first place, my next step will be the Better Business Bureau.  And next time I buy a computer you can bet that it will not be a Dell.

190 Posts

January 21st, 2010 12:00

There is a problem with the blu-ray drives. Mine won't burn above 2x and then it will give me coasters here and there,

Let's see if this helps you. First as the previous poster told you uninstall Dell's data safe. Then go to the Real Tech site http://www.realtek.com.tw/DOWNLOADS/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

High Definition Audio Codecs
Audio drivers available for download from the Realtek website are general drivers for our audio ICs, and may not offer the customizations made by your system/motherboard manufacturer. To be sure you obtain the full features/customizations provided in your original audio product, please download the latest drivers from your system/motherboard manufacturer's website. I downloaded ATI HDMI Audio Device.
then install that software.
I don't know if you want to play it on the tv or on the computer. I connect my laptop to the tv. Next dl the trial version of cyberlink power dvd 9 and set your settings for the blu-ray and hdmi.
 I connect mine to the tv so have to set it to play as if it were a projector. That way I get audio and video on the tv. by chosing hdmi.
Sorry for the red type but I tried to change it and couldn't.

download the ati

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 21st, 2010 16:00

Hi, Fionav:

Did you read my post? Did you try my suggestion?

Unfortunately, your long story doesn't give me so much as a hint what's wrong. We're here to help solve problems. But if you just want to rant, feel free.

1 Message

January 26th, 2010 18:00

Hello Osprey 4,

I just recently purchased a Dell Studio Slim and I am having the same problems.  I went through tech support and had my computer restored to factory settings after the computer completely crashed the first time I attempted to play a blueray DVD.  I have not tried disabling Dell Datasafe yet.  Are you talking about the Local or online?  And by disable do you mean uninstall?  Disable does not appear to be an option in any of the menus I have for either program.  I get lag when I play any movie Blueray or not. 

It is quite frustrating having just purchased this computer with the intent of being able to watch movies on it and replace our old DVD player.  The technician said they may send an upgrade when one is available, but why is Dell selling disc drives that don't play movies.  I am frustrated like most of the other people I have seen posting about this topic.  Hopefully Dell will come up with a solution quickly.

Thank you for your help,

David

January 27th, 2010 04:00

My first Studio 1555 was having Blu-Ray disk playback problems from the moment it arrived.  I was on Tech support for hours.  The playback was stalling every minute or so. The tech went through a number of procedures including uninstalling the drive drivers in device manager, and more.  When he started to Google Blu-Ray software and tried to download from unsecured websites I said enough.  He finally said Dell would send out a tech and replace the drive.  The tech had to tear apart the entire computer to get to the blu-ray drive and when she put it back neither the keyboard nor the casing was reassembled properly.  I sent it back and they sent me a new one.  The same problem was occurring EVERY 1 minute the playback paused and then started up again.  I again called tech support and went through the same procedures from the first laptop.  To no  avail.  He wanted to send out the same tech who tore apart my first one.

I read the fix here regarding the Dell Data Safe and removed the program entirely. There were 3 Dell Data safe and I uninstalled all of them, just as well because on every boot I got a window asking if I wanted to update to the next version and it never would update.  So good riddance.  I just watched an entire Blu-Ray disc movie and NOT ONE shudder or pause.  IT WORKED!!  If you are having a problem with your BD player similar to this one, REMOVE the Dell Data Safe program.  I don't know which one but might as well remove all 3 of them.

190 Posts

January 27th, 2010 13:00

I agree with you. I got my 1645 with blu-ray which did not work. I deleted entirely the Dell Data Safe program. I then installed

http://www.realtek.com/downloads/

High Definition Audio Codecs

Then I upgraded my Power DVD software to the trial version 9.0 (I think if you got the 8.3 version of Cyberlin Powerdvd with the computer that will work also)

After doing this I was able to choose HD and also connect to the tv and have the movie play on the tv with audio coming out of the tv with no gliches. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

D

2 Posts

February 1st, 2010 05:00

I had the exact same problem with my Studio XPS1640. Bluray stuttering all the time with the drive clunking away and ruining the HD movie experience. I then removed all 3 instances of DELL DATA SAFE program and the player works as it should. It is very frustrating to find a pre installed program that is supposed to be a benefit has compromised one of the main features that I bought this machine for. I am much happier to back up to an external hard drive or Bluray as I do not need to be on line to retrieve the data.

I have the original Power DVD DX 8.2 program installed which has been updated to version 8.2.5711 and did not download any additional codecs as suggested above. I also wasted loads of time trying other media players including Power DVD 9 trial but all you need to do is uninstall Dell Data Safe. It may make your date safe but it stops the Bluray player from working so why the hell is it included in the preloaded software!!!!!!!!!! 

1 Message

March 17th, 2010 09:00

A friend of mine had the same problem, and he told me that the guys at MyCE (former CDFreaks.com) were really informative in helping. Below is a link to a similar thread:

http://club.myce.com/f142/dell-blu-ray-burner-brand-279946/

Hope this helps - Henkie :)

No Events found!