Highlighted

BootMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+del to restart

Jump to solution

My Dell install hard drive recently crashed.  I purchased one from a local computer store (I live in Korea and there are hundreds of computer stores) so I formatted the hard drive to erase any possible viruses and unwanted spyware and trojens.  My system arrived with Windows Vista, but I upgraded to Windows 7 ultimate 32 bit.  I have performed the full onboard diagnostics with no errors. 

After initial start up, the scress shows "Floppy diskette seek failure, Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utilities, Press F5 to run onboad diagnostics."  After Pressing F1, BOOTMGR is missing is displayede.

I have reconfigures the BOOT to read ONBOARD or USB CD-ROM drive first, USB Device second, and harddrive third.

Any advise? 

0 Kudos
18 Replies

Re: BootMGR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+del to restart

Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to dell community. Please follow the below steps to fix the issue.

1) Get the system into BIOS by tapping F2 key during the dell screen. Please check if the hard drive is getting detected in BIOS. if it's detected proceed to next step.

2)  Please follow the steps mentioned in the below link to rebuild boot manager.

Put the Windows 7 discs in optical drive and then start the computer and keep tapping F12

Press a key when the message Press any key to boot from CD or DVD appears.

Select a language, a time, a currency, a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.

Click Repair your computer.

Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press ENTER and restart.

If you have question please reply back to the same post.

Regards,
Sumesh
Dell | Social Media Outreach | Global Social Media & Community

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

Jump to solution

Hi mbtjthomas96,

There's a pretty good chance your motherboard battery has died ('floppy diskette seek failure"). What is the model of your Dell?

0 Kudos
mbtjthomas
Bronze

Jump to solution
The hard drive is recognized. BIOS drive ID, ST3500418AS; capacity - 500 GB; BIOS - this drive is controlled by the RAID BIOS. Step 2 does not work. I can get to F 12 and begin th boot, however after the Dell drivers disk runs for one minute, then the BOOTMGR messgae reappears. I've tried to use Windows 7 disk as well, with no luck. when loading from F12, the system says "Selected boot device not available - strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility, Press f5 to run on board diagnostics. I did replace the battery as suggested in another post. I've also completed a full diagnostic check with no errors. I'm open to suggestions.
mbtjthomas
Bronze

Jump to solution

The battery did fix one problem,thanks.

I have a Dell XPS 420, purchased in 2008.

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

Jump to solution

The next step is to boot to the BIOS and configure the boot sequence. Normally, the first device is the CD drive, then the hard drive. That's the information that got lost when your motherboard battery died.

0 Kudos
mbtjthomas
Bronze

Jump to solution

Done, USB/ CD OR DVD is first, Harddrive is second.  Time and date are also updated

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

Jump to solution

Then last thing to do is run FixMBR.

0 Kudos
mbtjthomas
Bronze

Jump to solution

There is no OS on the system and the option is not available in the BIOS or system set up.  Where do I find this option or how do I access DOS to begin?

osprey4
Diamond

Jump to solution

Sorry, I lost track of the original issue. You now need to install the operating system.

0 Kudos