Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 27th, 2007 19:00

Booting form Cd drive and installing a new drive

The door to my cd-rw drive bay will no longer open unless I do the paper clip trick. This is a bit annoying to do every time since the hole is difficult to see unless I get down to the floor, etc. All responses to my questions about the problem never go beyond the paper clip trick, and do not  tell me if there is a better, permanent repair to free the door. Is there a fix?
If not, if I go ahead to install an new optic drive, can I install a DVD-RW drive in that bay and still have the option of using the designated drive as one from which the computer will boot in case I have to reformat. That is, now my computer will reformat from the CD drive; if I install another drive and use the same drive designation(E) will the computer boot if needed?
Am I about to opoen a can of tech worms?
I hope that my question is clear.

Specs:
Dell Dimension 4550
P4 processor @ 2.53GHz
1gb DDR memory
16 max DVD Rom Drive Lite-on
Samsung Cd-R/RW SW--28F Cd-Rom Drive
XFX 7600Gs video card with 256mb onboard memory

15.3K Posts

June 27th, 2007 20:00

Hi Bar50env,

I will try to address the issue of installation and booting first.
Dell uses the Cable Select jumper setting not Master/Slave, in a nutshell you set the small plastic shunt (jumper) on the back of the drive over the two pins labeled CS or CSEL. Location on the Cable determines Drive 0 (Master), Drive 1 (Slave), with the "End" connection being Drive 0. Thus, the drive setting in the Top Bay will be Drive 0 (Master). The majority of Dell systems tend to boot from the Drive that sets in the Top Bay, so if you are replacing the drive in the Top bay and set the jumper to Cable Select, this will be the boot device. Was that fairly clear?

As for the drive no longer opening, sorry I must have missed your previous posts on the subject.
Click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 13-0, article 22. There are 4 approaches to this, you have covered the paper clip, see if the others will help.
If not, what is the model of the Lite-on DVD-ROM, Dell may have a firmware update for the drive.

However considering you can pick up a DVD+/-RW drive for around $35, you may not want to waste any more time on the DVD-ROM.

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

22 Posts

June 27th, 2007 22:00

Predator:
Thanks for the tips. I will try the steps in your posted directions.
The DVD-ROm drive is a Liteon-LTD163. This is working ok; the drive opens and closes properly.It is the cd drive that is bad. But I will try looking inside the box first then do the other stuff and post the results.  TY

22 Posts

June 28th, 2007 14:00

Predator--
I am not much of a techie, and I got a bit startled when, upon clicking "unistall" at the secondary IDE channel per your instructions, a warning window popped up.  Will the secondary IDE channel  restore itself on boot up? I do not want to mess anything up so I have no CD-RW drive recognized at all.  I appreciate your help

15.3K Posts

June 28th, 2007 16:00

Hi Bar,

Once you restart the system Windows will install the proper drivers for the controller.
It is possible the drive with the tray problem will need replacing if the steps listed does not help.

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link
No Events found!