Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 21st, 2018 06:00

Both using password locked hdd on desktop and on laptop.

Hello!
I am the owner of the laptop Dell Inspiron 7720.
In its BIOS it is possible to put a password on hdd (using ata security). I put the password on the disk, and then I tried to connect it to my desktop. I see that the disk is in locked state. The password that I specified in the BIOS (and I enter them on each boot) is not suitable for unlocking the disk on the desktop.
How can I use this disk on the desktop? - how can I find out the password to unlock the drive?

Main question is in subject - how I can use locked disk in both systems (laptop and pc)?

• 

17K Posts

January 22nd, 2018 07:00

Time_Daemon

You cannot use the disk to unlock the desktop password. You will need to create a Windows password reset disk. Also, booting to a disk you created will not unlock the desktop. You will need to manually type it in. If you forgot your Windows 7 password you can possibly still get into Windows. Click the link below. This is not a Dell Link but, should help you. You could also go to another Windows 7 computer to create a Windows 7 password reset disk.

Reset Windows 7 password

Dell Windows 7 Support

January 22nd, 2018 09:00

Hello!
I'm not going to use a disk from the laptop to unlock the workstation, you misunderstood me. And I'm not going to boot from it on my desktop. It's a data disk (without an operating system), and I want to know if I can use it (read the data stored on it) in the event of a failure of my laptop, or at least continue using the disk with data loss on it and formatting the file system again .
I would be grateful to you for answering my questions.

• 

17K Posts

January 24th, 2018 05:00

Time_Daemon ,

Apologies for the misunderstanding. You would want to leave it unlocked to use in both the laptop and desktop.

January 24th, 2018 06:00

Hello!

No, I want to use disk with enable ATA Security in both systems (laptop Dell Insiron 7720 and my desktop pc).

Now I can set it or in the laptop (via BIOS) and I cannot use this disk on desktop (because same password are not worked to unlock disk, I'm using "sudo hdparm --security-unlock PASS /dev/sdb" command on my desktop and I get an error, that says that the password is incorrect, when there will be an opportunity I will reproduce it and I can post it here). Or I can lock the disk on the desktop with a maximum password length of 32 characters, but even if I use 8 characters or less for password, same password do not unlock my disk on laptop. Based on this, I can conclude that in the event of a breakdown of the laptop, I will have to discard the disk with all the data on it, which I very much would not like.

No Events found!