Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 28th, 2008 00:00

Break RAID 1

I would like to break my RAID 1 (mirroring) since I back up to an external hard drive and keep a copy offsite.  The Intel website makes it sound pretty simple and I've read the posts here.  However, I’ve never dealt with RAID setups before and I’d like some reassurance before doing anything irrevocable. 

System:

Dell XPS 400

Windows XP SP2

Intel 82801 GR/GH SATA RAID Controller

Intel Storage Console 5.1

Hard Drives: Two Maxtor 250 GB

1. Do you need additional info re: the machine?
  2. Do I need a more recent version of Intel Console?
  3. Procedure for breaking the RAID
  4. Do I need to reload OS/software?
  Thank you in advance.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 28th, 2008 02:00

WilDeliver

1) No.

2) No.

3) Boot the system, press CTRL+i when indicated to go into the RAID BIOS setup, and set the drives to a non-RAID configuration.
Then if you have RAID 1, you should have 2 hard drives that are exactly the same, after this, you can partition and format the second hard drive.

4) No.

Note: It's always advisable to make a backup of your critical data, before breaking a RAID.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

935 Posts

July 28th, 2008 13:00

You can also DELETE the RAID 1 volume from the Intel ROM Utility (CTRL-I). I've done this many times without issue. You'll get a warning that your data will be lost. Ignore it as you will NOT lose any data and you'll have two drive with identical data. Either way (delete or reset to non-RAID) will break the RAID 1 volume.

4 Posts

July 30th, 2008 02:00

It went without a hitch and now I've got two identical 250GB hard drives and no RAID.  I checked the Intel web site and it pointed out that other RAID formats can, indeed wipe out data (which, they observe, is why there is a message to that effect on the Intel Storage Manager), but not one-volume RAID 1.

RAID 1 hardly seems worth it since 1. I have backup and 2. backing up to a drive on the same computer seems like the least effective strategy.  It is true that hard drives crash, although not often, so I guess RAID 1 protects you against that.  On the other hand, theft, fire, lightning, etc. still take everything. 

Anyway, thanks for your insights. 

4 Posts

July 30th, 2008 03:00

Also, for what it's worth, here's how I partition my drives:

C:/ WINDOWS

D:/ DATA

P:/ PROGRAMS

S:/ STORAGE

Windows gets plenty of room to play, all my programs are in one place and both can be stored occasionally as an image for easy reinstall, if needed.

I put My Documents on the D: drive so it's easy to just back it all up. 

Storage is install disks and such. 

Adios

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 30th, 2008 03:00

WilDeliver

Congrats, :)

RAID1 is great for hardware problems, the reason I stopped using it several years ago, is that all the software problems are mirrored to the second hard drive.

Instead, I use Acronis TrueImage to image the primary hard drive to the second drive.

Bev.

6 Posts

August 10th, 2008 19:00

@shesagordie wrote:

Instead, I use Acronis TrueImage to image the primary hard drive to the second drive.

But wouldn´t then also every files (including software problems) beeing imaged to your second harddrive?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 10th, 2008 20:00

@pooz wrote:

@shesagordie wrote:

But wouldn´t then also every files (including software problems) beeing imaged to your second harddrive?

pooz

No, because unless the primary C:/ hard drive is 'clean', I don't image it.

Prior to running Acronis, I always run a 'Chkdsk' and disk cleanup, plus check for any Malware and Virus. Been imaging the C:/ drives for seven+ years without a problem and it's great when a hard dive fails.

Bev.

4 Posts

August 12th, 2008 00:00

OK, so here I am with two duplicate hard drives. 

Can I simply delete the Windows, Uninstall and Program files directly (File/Delete) from the now-duplicate and redundant D:/ drive?  (I would assume that ControlPanel/AddRemovePrograms would remove the application from the C:/ drive, right?)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 12th, 2008 01:00

WilDeliver

The best method, is to delete all partitions and then format the new D:/ drive using XP disk management and use it as a second hard drive, for additional storage.

How to use XP disk management.

Bev.

No Events found!