Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2014 15:00

CD/DVD Drive Not Recognized

I've got an Inspiron N411Z running Windows 7 Home Premium. I went to burn a CD last night and found that the CD/DVD drive was no longer recognized. It doesn't show up under My Computer >  Disk Drives or under Device Manager. 

Not sure what I should do. Any help is appreciated.

-Art

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 18th, 2014 15:00

Hi Art,

Please follow my link below for the old upper and lower filter trick. I'm 80% certain that will fix your issue.

December 18th, 2014 18:00

Osprey,

I ran the tool that you suggested and it did not detect a drive. Any ideas?

Art

87 Posts

December 19th, 2014 07:00

Hello artvandalay1984,

Was there any power outage recently that has might affect your laptop? Have you made any firmware updates?
Here in this forum I've managed to find a link with information to similar problem as yours:www.dell.com/.../EN
You could use a virtual CD ROM emulator and then use it to mount a virtual CD drive. Then go to device manager, and you will see that the CD/DVD drive category has re-appeared for the "fake" drive. Select this category and scan for new devices. Your original CD/DVD drive should reappear on My Computer and Device Manager.

Hope that I helped.

KY_WD

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 20th, 2014 04:00

Art,

Please check your BIOS (F2 at startup) and tell me if your DVD drive is detected there. It's possible the hardware has completely failed, but that's the first place to check.

December 23rd, 2014 06:00

You may try to update drivers with windows update.   Find "Control Panel", Click "System and Security" and choose "Windows Update". Choose drivers for your dell computer to update.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 23rd, 2014 07:00

Hi Tom,

Since Windows uses the same generic drivers for all optical drives, updating the drivers does not apply. Regardless, since the device is not visible in device manager, the drivers couldn't be updated anyway.

No Events found!