Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 25th, 2012 07:00

CD/DVD Drive does not recognise disks.

Hi, we got a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop just over a year ago. In the beginning, we could play CDs and DVDs without a problem when it suddenly stopped working.

Since, we are able to put in a disk to which the drive will flash and sound like its working but nothing will come up. When we go into 'Computer' and double click on the 'DVD RW Drive' a window appears directing us to insert a disk into the drive when there is already one in there.

Please help!!

Sioned.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 29th, 2014 16:00

Hi Topcat57,

If you are trying to install Vista, then I assume you're attempting to boot to the Vista disc. This is not a driver issue but a problem with booting either to your DVD drive or to the Vista disc. Have you tried tapping F12 at boot and choosing the option to boot to the DVD drive with the Vista disc in the drive?

5 Posts

April 30th, 2014 08:00

Osprey4,

Thank You very much! The hitting the F12 key seemed to get the disc started. But I now need to delete the program Windows Powershell. I went to the control panel, then add/remove programs file but not seeing a windows powershell. I'm I looking in the wrong place?  

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 30th, 2014 11:00

I assume you are attempting an in-place upgrade from XP to Vista. We generally recommend a clean install. In fact, if you are going to clean install, you should think about going with Windows 7.

However, for the Powershell issue, you should look at this article.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 30th, 2014 16:00

Hi Topcat,

Just got your PMs.

I would recommend performing a clean installation of Windows 7. You can do this from the upgrade disc. Follow the Windows installation guide (link below).

Your Inspiron 8600 should be able to run Windows 7, but you'll need to buy another license. You cannot use the same disc to upgrade multiple computers.

1 Message

August 15th, 2019 23:00

Hi I had similar issue when I try to read cd drive in my system I can read that but when I try to read dvd It is not getting read. and When I click on the DVD drive in my computers It asks to Insert the cd even if it is inserted. And I tried to follow the step provided by you . I found one problem that the UpperFilters.bak, UpperFilters, and LowerFilters are not available in the specified location. Can you help me out to fix this problem? Thanks

1 Message

June 30th, 2022 15:00

Hello Mudit P,

I know your original post was from a decade ago, but I was trying to use your recommendations to fix my optical drive that won't recognize BLANK disc (CD or DVD) in Windows 10 but will play pre-recorded CD's & DVD's.  iTunes, MS Media Player & Wondershare Uniconverter will recognize the BLANK discs and burn to them no problem.  However, I used the link that you shared to fix the problem but it led me to Microsoft Easy Fix Solutions, but it no longer exists. It referred me to the Windows 10 troubleshooter, but there is no troubleshooter for the optical drive.  I then went into regedit as you instructed and navigated to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}...  However there are 24 separate subkeys with that address.  Maybe that's my problem?  Anyway, of the 24 there are 4 that have UpperFilters listed.  I'm not sure what to do going forward.  Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

No Events found!