Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2011 05:00

CD/DVD Drive will not work

I had a tech come out yesterday and install a new CD/DVD drive but it still does not work.  When I go to device manager it says "This Drive cannot start. (Code 10)".  When I click on the check for solutions button a screen pops up for a very short time that says "could not load driver software, checking for solutions", then it goes back to the screen and does nothing at all.  I get no solutions.  I have tried updating the drivers, but it says I have the most current drivers.  I had this same problem with the old drive, but it still does it with the brand new drive installed.  I had to miss time from work to have the new drive installed for nothing.  Any suggestions on how to get this drive working?

Sarah

2 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have tried that and it still doesn't work.  I'm still getting the same message in device manager.

14.4K Posts

Try clicking on the Run Now button in this link, http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

14.4K Posts

February 12th, 2011 06:00

If you are happy looking in the registry then I would try the old school method.

Go to start> run and type in "regedit" (without the quotes) then press ok.

1) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values by:

a) Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it.

b) Expand the "SYSTEM" Key

c) Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key

d) Expand the "Control" Key

e) Expand the "Class" Key

f) Carefully look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:

{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.

(The full path is HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} )

g) Highlight this key by left clicking once on it

h) On the right hand side you are looking for "Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters", once you find these delete them by high lighting (left clicking on them once) and then right clicking on them and choosing "delete"

NB only one key may be present but still delete it.

Now reboot and your optical drive(s) should function again.

NOTE: After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, if you notice lost functionality in a particular program, such as CD recording software, you may need to reinstall that software.

No Events found!