Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 25th, 2009 15:00

CD & DVD Drives

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with two drives. They are shown as DVD Drive D and CD-RW Drive E..  Until recently I could insert a music CD in Drive D and it would start playing immediately.  Now nothing happens upon insertion in Drive D.  I tried to start play through the My Computer icon and clicking the Drive D icon.  I get a message to insert a disk in Drive D even though one is in that drive.  The CD will play in Drive E using that method to start it.

I will appreciate any help in this matter.

3.4K Posts

December 25th, 2009 16:00

Hello,

Does drive D (the DVD) see any type of disk now?

Could be the drive has gone bad.

4 Posts

December 26th, 2009 10:00

No. It just says to insert a disk in Drive D. But, a disk is already in that dirve when I get the message.

3.4K Posts

December 26th, 2009 17:00

OK, let me try again ...

Can any other disk be read in that drive at any time?

4 Posts

December 27th, 2009 09:00

No.  Drive D will not read any kind of disk.  I have tried other music CD's, a photo CD that I burned and a Magellan GPS CD but the PC just does not recognize there is a disk in the drive.  If I insert a disk nothing happens.  If I go to My Computer - Drive D and try to get it to read, I get the message to insert a disk in the drive even though one is in the drive.

I really appreciate any suggestions you may have. 

4 Posts

December 27th, 2009 11:00

Thanks for your help.  I suspected the drive had gone bad.  I was waiting to see if Windows 7 got all the bugs out before buying a new PC.  Just have to move my schedule up.

Thanks again and Happy New Year.

3.4K Posts

December 27th, 2009 11:00

Hello again,

It sounds as if your drive has died.

Time to buy another. Sorry

No Events found!