Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2010 03:00

CD/DVD ROM (D &E) DRIVES WON'T WORK (SOFTWARE DELETED IN ERROR)

OK, first let me say: I'm an idiot. Usually, pretty good with computers (macs and pcs) but once in a while I do a really stupid thing. Now, is one of those times. I have a Windows XP system (purchased 2006).

Don't bother to tell me what all these programs do: I don't care. All I want is to get my DVD/CD-rom/RW drives up and running and I am never deleting another program on my computer for the rest of my life.

Just tell me how to fix this, if you can (please please please)

First incident of stupidity: I had a folder in my temp file that never would delete for a Cineplayer update: no idea what Cineplayer is. It bugged me that the folder sat in the temp file so I tried to move it to the Cineplayer folder. The computer wouldn't have it: kept giving me a message that some update was missing, so I moved it back to the temp folder. Then I got mad that the darn thing wouldn't let me move it so I just deleted Cineplayer.

Second incident of stupidity: For four years,I have had a shortcut on my desktop for ROXIO. Never used it; never had a clue what it was for. SO, I DELETED THE PROGRAM. Big, stupid mistake.

Third incident of stupidity: After I deleted Roxio I got update messages about Sonic Activation Module. Didn't have a clue what that was, so I deleted everything I could find about Sonic Solutions.

Don't say it: I know I shouldn't have done these things because now, neither one of my CD/DVD drives will work. They don't show up on My Computer as active drives, CDs/DVDs put in either drive D or E won't show up (green light flashes but nothing on desktop, anywhere and can't access disks).

Yes, I went through Device Manager about 20 times: uninstall, install, no joy. Troubleshooting: yes can see the two pieces of hardware but can't fix it to use them.

Tried System Restore to prior to deletion of Roxio: no joy.

I HAVE THREE DELL DISKS that were sent to me the last time I screwed up the computer (two years ago). They are: Resource CDs for Device drivers and diagnostics and utilites; DVD for installing Dell Dimension and Dell XPS Computer Software; and Application already installed on your computer for reinstalling Cyberlink Power DVD DX7.0 Software for DVD Playback.

Sounds impressive, huh? but (a) I don't know which one has the software for the CD-Rom/DVD hardware and (b) because there is no software on the PC to read the disks in the drives, the computer can't see the disks sitting in the drives anyway for me to look for the software apps I need.

So, I need to either install the software from the internet but I don't know what I need to install to get one drive working so I can use the disks to install the other drive OR I need to know the magic F key to use upon startup to access something that will fix this problem.

Anyone, please? Can you help me?

September 6th, 2010 04:00

FOUND IT MYSELF SO AM SHARING WITH ANY OTHERS OUT THERE WHO DO THIS STUPID THING ONCE IN A WHILE.

GO TO: http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

GOOD LUCK AND DON'T DELETE ANYTHING EVER AGAIN!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 6th, 2010 05:00

Of course, there is nothing wrong with deleting programs. It's only a Roxio thing that uninstalling the program can render your drives inoperable.

3 Posts

September 8th, 2010 01:00

Wow... the more you read on where you're at...  the more tragic is seems :)   I say.....    back up your shzzle on an external hard drive... and reinstall the operating system as well as the drivers for the DVD/CD players.   Really shouldn't be a problem....  Seems you're thinking the DVD/CD players will not re-configure....  can't see that happening.  Since all you did was to basically remove some files in a sting of command....   The operating system will re configure and install what you deleted or re located.  You can not have done any actual damage to the hardware...   It doesn't make any difference where nor on which disk various files are located...  re load them all...   ALL....    I say reformat and you should be up and running.  Moving and deleting files is not really that lame a move...   It just makes you learn how to re install an operating system.  You could have gotten lucky and not had any effect on the system at all...  wait till you get your grips on virtual machines...   You can do anything you want and if you mess something up or configure something improperly... all you have to do is delete the virtual machine and re install the operating system to create a new one.  

Lancersdad

1 Message

February 18th, 2019 03:00

AWW DON'T GET FRUSTRATED LAST WEEK  ALL I SEEN WAS BLUE SCREENS.  AFTER A WEEK OF TROUBLESHOOTING IT TURNS OUT THE WINDOWS SOFTWARE WAS CORRUPT.  SO I HAD TO RESET IT TO FACTORY SETTINGS AND MY CD-ROM ISN'T WORKING EITHER!!!   TRY EVERYTHING EVEN OUT THE BOX I KEPT A CD IN THE CD-ROM ALL DAY AND IT BY IT SELF IT GAVE BE HOPE!!! GOOD LUCK!!!

No Events found!