Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 27th, 2008 09:00

CD/DVD Rom reading slower.....

27 Nov 2008 11:44AM

Hi - I cannot figure this one out. I have a Dell Dimension E510 Desktop. My cd/dvd rom is all of a sudden reading slower. It is a HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GDR8164B factory installed component. When I burn cd to cd, I notice the speed never going above 12x. Itpreviously used to go up to 47x. Also, when uploadload songs from a cd to ITunes. it uploads them slower too. When I do the same with the burner (Philips DVD + RW 8801), everything works fine. I've changed nothing. I peformed trouble shooting on the drive, and nothing was found wrong. No further updates were found either. Why would this slow down, and the computer find nothing wrong with it? Can somebaody please help me with this? Would be greatly appreciated, as this is annoying.....

Thanks.

cjp2371

November 27th, 2008 11:00

Hey,

Better check whether any firmware update need to be done on the optical drive / You can do it by logging into support.dell.com click on downloads and drivers and enter service tag it will lists all the device drivers select optical drive which you are using and there it will be listed as Firmware

Hope this should work for you

Regards,

Shaggy.

3 Posts

November 28th, 2008 07:00

Shaggy - thanks for your quick reply. I did what you said, but could not find the optical drive I listed above (HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GDR8164B). There was firmware listed for different drives. Any other ideas you have would be great. Thanks again for your help....

cjp2371

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 30th, 2008 09:00

Hi, cjp:

Sounds like your drive is running in PIO mode. Go to device manager and look at the advanced tab of the properties window for your IDE channel where this drive is connected. If it is set to "DMA if available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then delete both the drive and this IDE channel in device manager, reboot, then set it back to DMA if available and reboot again.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

oops

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Stupid forum... :(

No Events found!