Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2007 13:00

CD/DVD burning software

I'm a consultant and use my laptop for business.  I specifically order a Dell Vostro 1000 with CD/DVD buring capability. I also did not want the hassle of incompatibility problems with the operating system, so I specified Windows XP.  The problem is that the machine has the burning hardware but does NOT come with the software.  Customer service calls resulted in the answer that indeed it does NOT come with the software.  However, they would connect me with the ordering department and they would sell me the software.  How about if I sold you a new car but it did not come with a gas tank?  You had the hardware (vehicle) but it would not drive without purchasing the gas tank (software) so that it could function as purchased.

I called customer service and just wanted to return the computer since it did not operate as advertised on the Dell website.  The rep talked with his supervisor and agreed to send me the software "at no charge" and gave me a confirmation number.  Ten days later, still no package.  A second call to customer service and I find out my order has been "put on hold for cancellation".  Again a promise to mail the software and a new confirmation number.

The truth is I really like my laptop but need it to be functional for my business.  I'm now willing to purchase the software with my own money but need advice on the best software that works on this laptop.  Extensive reading online makes me very afraid of Roxio and Nero software.  Ain't the internet great?  I'm not interested in bells and whistles, just software that WORKS and will not crash my system.

57 Posts

December 10th, 2007 18:00

Here my friend try this it has a 40 Days Free Trial very good and easy to use Burn Studio http://www2.ashampoo.com/webcache/html/1/product_2_0710__.htm This is version 6 I have since gone for version 7 works wonders. Now if your after a free software try this BurnAware Free Edition http://www.glorylogic.com by all accounts does the business. Likewise tend to stay away from NeroD and RoxiWho..:)

Message Edited by RoosterMPS on 12-10-2007 05:14 PM

December 10th, 2007 23:00

Thanks for all the input.  I downloaded the freeware CD Burner XP Pro today and will give it a try this weekend.  Wish me luck.

December 15th, 2007 10:00

Alls well that ends well!!! 
Dell support did the right thing and sent me Roxio CD/DVD burning software at no charge. 
Support (from India) called several times to check on the status of the delivery.
I guess it's true that the squeaky wheel gets the oil, so if you have a problem with your Dell machine (or any product from any store), just be perssitant and keep on it until the problem is solved to your satisfaction.

June 15th, 2014 14:00

I have the same issues with products being sold without the proper software to use with any particular product. You practically have to be an computer/software tech to have any idea which software works best with the hardware. The information searching to know these issue sis rediculous. I understand the concepts of marketing versus profitability issues.

What ever happened to customer satisfaction? A company standing behind their products and offering ALL/EVERY necessary product requirement included with a quarentee of satisfaction. Software compatible with hardware. So many people are not informed enough to NOT be taken advantage of. They (the coporation) know these things d use them to, as far as I am concerned take advantage of the customers for the sake of money. The GOD of this world (MONEY) has blinded their eyes. What is the old says. THE LOVE OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL. I am about done with purchasing products that do not include every necessary componant, necessary driver, software need that it take sot use the hardware without anough of a hassle to give even the most healthy of us a darn heart attack.

I could really jsut stop buying all together if I did not have a of certain things to keep my money rolling in. I just may do that very thing..... Remember that you corporate vultures..... Americans are fed up with greed, lies and distortions of truth that you use to suck our wealth from us pockets.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

June 15th, 2014 15:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.    

No Events found!