Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 23rd, 2011 19:00

CD drive is a ghost :D

Hi a friend of mine recently gave me an old dell GX270 slim he had in his garage after I got tired of my old Toshiba laptop eating hardrives up. There were only two problems with it we needed to upgrade the video card and replace the non functioning cdrom. There is an issue with the AGP video card having a black screen but I will post that issue in the proper part of the forum. We installed a 400w PSU and a Samsung SH-S162L cddrive. When we go into device manager no matter what we do the thing insists the factory cdrom is there and that there is nothing wrong with it despite it sitting unattached and in my hands. The drive will boot up if a disk is inserted or upon booting the computer up it will fire up for a couple seconds but then goes dormant again. why doesn't my computer seem to see the drive no matter how I hook up I tried moving the master/slave/cable select catch around but changed nothing. Why does my computer continue to reinstate the factory cd driver even if I uninstall it and remove the device entirely from the computer? and why does the new drive not function either? Lets say for some retarded reason it won't let me pull the factory cddrive off the machine I should still be able to install the new one as a slave or something right?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 24th, 2011 14:00

Hi Circuitputz,

Please set the drive jumper to cable select. Then boot to the BIOS (F2) and make sure the device appears properly in the section where the system drives are listed.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 24th, 2011 17:00

Excellent!

There have been plenty of discussions on video cards for this system. Just do a search.

July 24th, 2011 17:00

Osprey you da man!! :) I downloaded the manual for the cd drive that was given to me found out which jumper was the CS and went into bios set all drive types to AUTO and rebooted it was then able to find it and all I had to do was go back into the bios and turn the other drive types back to the off position it won't let you boot into windows if you have non existent drives set to auto. The ghost drive is gone and my new drive sings like a top thank you Osprey!! now if I can get a decent graphics card in this thing I will have Frankensteined a poor man's gaming computer for less than a 100$ :)

No Events found!