chrisintn
3 Silver

CDRW Data Lost

I've formatted (full not quick) a CD-RW. I add files to it, they write and I can access them later. But when I close down, come back, they're gone. Also, I get a message sometimes that the disk isn't formatted, but I went through the formatting process. I'm afraid to put anything on a CD now for fear I'll lose data. Any advice?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
bacillus
7 Gold

Re: CDRW Data Lost

Unfortunately this is a well-known problem with storing files on a formatted cdrw disk. If you value the data then either burn it on to CDR or some other data storage medium.
0 Kudos
chrisintn
3 Silver

Yes, I was just using the disc for "working files"; not valuable stuff but still it's a little odd that the files just disappear. Also, it's as if the computer doesn't "remember" that it was formatted. The disc label gets lost also.
0 Kudos
GreyMack
5 Tungsten

When I put a CD-RW disk in that has been formatted with Roxio's DirectCD, my PC doesn't recognize it and won't even allow me to eject the CD unless I launch the DirectCD software before inserting the CD, or put the software on the CD when it is created. The default Windows setup doesn't recognize the format.

GM
0 Kudos