Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 15th, 2015 07:00

Can I Install NAS Drive into XPS8700 as Second Drive?

XPS 8700

RE: HGST NAS Desktop Drive 5TB 7200RPM SATA III 128MB Cache Internal Hard Drive Kit 0S03835
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O0M5QWQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=P7OKK27CGQKE&coliid=I30HPA5R2IOKG8&psc=1

Hi:

I like the reliability of the NAS drives. I don't want to install a NAS into a NAS storage array or use for networking. I only want to install (1) HGST NAS Desktop Drive 5TB (4 partitions not one exceeding 2tb) into the XPS 8700 to be used as a second drive, a storage drive (non-OS).

Question:

1) Can I use this drive HGST NAS Desktop Drive 5TB (4 partitions not one exceeding 2tb) as a regular internal desktop drive for storage? Or does it have to be installed into a NAS system?

2) Does anyone know if there will be greater noise or heat generated by this drive compared to a typical desktop internal drive?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 15th, 2015 12:00

This would be a good question to ask the drive manufacturer. Technically, there's nothing preventing an NAS drive from being used in a desktop environment, although there are no actual reliability advantages (other than marketing claims).

33 Posts

February 15th, 2015 22:00

This drive is designed for 24x7 and 1 million MTBF, all these numbers favor reliability.

Anyway, thanks for the info about nothing preventing an NAS drive from being used in a desktop environment.

I've searched the specs for this particular drive and there isn't any info on noise and heat levels. I'll look to the manufacturer for that info.

I've read contradictory info on the web about this particular drive regarding noise and heat levels vs. desktop drive of the same manufacturer. Another question for the manufacturer.

Generally speaking, do you know if NAS drives produce more noise and heat than a desktop drive?

Thanks

No Events found!