Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2008 17:00

Can't Get CD Drive to show up as Primary Slave

I am trying to boot from my cd drive to install tivo software on a hard drive.  As per instructions it says to hook up the cd rom drive to the primary channel where the hard drive was connected.  also take it from cable select and put the jumper in the slave position.   put the new hard drive on the secondary channel as the master drive..   that does show up in the bios.  but the cd drive will only show up when it is in the cable select position.  how can I get it to show up in the slave position?   is there a different way to boot from the cd drive to flash the new hard drive with that software?

I am using a dimension 3000 windows xp home  p4 3.0 ht processor.. bios version is A02

please help!

thanks, Ken

501 Posts

November 16th, 2008 11:00

Ken,

I don't understand the process that you are trying to do with the Tivo software, but, if all you want to do is boot from the CD drive, try this.

Connect the jumper to both your hard drive and your CD drive to "cable select". Connect your hard drive to the last connector on the IDE cable and connect your CD drive to the middle connector. This makes your hard drive the Primary and your CD the secondary. Now enter your system bios and change the "Boot Order" so it will boot from the CD. I think this is what you're trying to accomplish ?

Instructions for changing the "Boot Order" can be found here .

Warren

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 16th, 2008 11:00

Not sure what you are asking, but you should try TIVO Support. Click here. You should not have to change cd drive connections or anything else inside your computer just to install software. Those directions do not make any sense.

799 Posts

November 16th, 2008 12:00

Hello torpedobarb, I just checked your system specifications on the Dell site. It shows you have 2 IDE channels. These are the connectors where the ribbon cable connects to the motherboard. Unless you have more than one hard drive or more than one optical drive, they should be setup as follows. Make sure both drives, hard drive and optical (CD) drive have the jumpers set to CS (Cable Select). Connect the hard drive cable to channel one on the motherboard and the drive to the end connector of the cable. repeat this process but connect the optical drive to channel 2. You then need to boot the system and enter the BIOS and select the boot order. Normally the first boot device is the CD\DVD drive and the second boot device is the hard drive. After this is done, then restart the system and it should boot into Windows. The reason you need these drives to be on different channels is that if they are on the same channel, they will operate at the lowest speed of the slowest device on the cable. That means the hard drive will run as slow as the CD drive, which is not what you want. Hope this helps.

November 16th, 2008 14:00

Here is what I am trying to do..  here are the instructions from the software website.

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5

the hard drive in my directv tivo unit got corrupted somehow.  I have used this software before and it works.. it basically just puts the tivo software back on the hard drive like new.  Kinda how we have to system restore with the reboot cd.  How I got it right before I don't know.. just got lucky.   I have my Hard drive hooked up to the main ide channel.. the end of the cable and jumper on CS.  The Cd rom drive is on the secondary cable on the end with the jumper on CS also.  They want you to unhook your hard drive as to not accidentally overwrite it.  no problem.  I hook up the tivo hard drive to the secondary cable as master..  it will show up on the bios as secondary master hard drive.  the cd rom on the primary where the main hard drive was hooked up.  it will show up on CS  but not when jumpered to SL as per the instructions say.   Is there a way for me to do this without having the jumper on SL?  should I just hook the CD rom hooked up on the main ide cable in the middle position on CS and the new tivo hard drive on the end of the cable on master will that work?  I just need to boot from the cd to re program the tivo drive.   sorry if I am being redundant.  thanks for any help that can be given.  Ken 

No Events found!