Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2015 13:00

Can’t access external hard drive via SATA to USB adapter

My desktop “died” over a year ago. It was a Dimension E521 XP Home Edition,  [Admin NOTE: Service tag removed per TOU policy , Model # DC8M, Product Key JX4CP-Y6XB7.

I now want to recover files from the hard drive via my laptop. I bought a Vantec 2.5"/3.5"/5.25" SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter - Model CB-ISATAU2 and set it up via pg 7 here http://www.vantecusa.com/system/application/media/data_file/061709_cb-isatau2_manual_us-all.pdf

I do not see it in windows explorer like when I plug in a thumb drive. Is there something else I need to do to make my pc recognize \ find it? From another forum I was told to look under Devices and Printers (not in the control panel but an entry below it on the right pane when you click the orb/start button). You should see Mass Storage Device.” No mass storage device seen but under device manager > DVD/CD-ROM Drives > MATSHITA DVD RAM UJ-884 USB Device when I right-clicked on it and went to properties on the general tab it says "Location: On USB mass storage device.” Also, when I right click on my pc under Devices and Printers there is an Eject option with an arrow which then shows USB Mass Storage Device - so it's recognizing it somehow I think.

I was given a link on how to get to disk management which I did then I uploaded a print screen of that dialog box to my website at http://www.fairmountpetservice.com/prtscreen.jpg

So can anyone help me figure out why my laptop isn’t reading the external drive. I tried it in a different usb port and no difference.

Thanks!

Jim

4 Posts

January 13th, 2015 11:00

SATA - I included a link to the pdf manual of the adapter

105 Posts

It´s a SATA / IDE adapter.  I suppose that means it works with either SATA or IDE disks.

105 Posts

How was the disk connected in the computer? Was the connection IDE or SATA? If IDE, did you try to change the settings on the disk, from MASTER to SINGLE or vice versa? 

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

August 19th, 2019 16:00

I have the same issue with my drive from my now-dead XPS8900.  My SATA to USB adapter has worked flawlessly with every disk I've ever used it on, but this Dell XPS8900 Seagate 1TB drive does not show up as a USB drive on my Windows 10 Laptop.

Are Dell drives formatted in some non-standard way?

Did you ever get a response from Dell, Tech Support?

No Events found!