Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

January 2nd, 2009 10:00

Can't boot with new EIDE drive in GX260

Due to a disk crash, I'm attempting to install a new Western Digital EIDE drive in my GX260.  The specific product is WD3200JB 320GB.  The install seemed to go normally - disk was formatted and XP installed.  But when I attempted to boot following, it fails.  If I attempt to boot from the XP CD, it just goes into a blank screen and never comes out.  If I let it try to boot from the disk, it says "A disk error has occurred." 

I have removed the jumper from the disk to indicate a Single drive.  Western Digital had me put the jumper on the 5-6 pins then reinstall Windows XP.  That did not work.

Any suggestions as to how I can start over?  I have run the GX260 memory and disk diagnostics and everything checks out OK.  So it appears I have a good PC and good drive but something is out of sync.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2009 18:00

Hi, Uncahuab:

The drive jumper must be set to cable select. This is the same for all Dell systems. However, you should not need to reinstall the OS. Just change the jumper then check your drives in the BIOS to be sure the new drive is properly recognized.

17 Posts

January 4th, 2009 05:00

Thanks, Osprey.

BIOS is recognizing the drive and shows the correct name, size, etc.  Jumper is set to Cable select.  When I exit the BIOS setup to let it boot, I'm getting "A disk read error has occurred" message.  I've gone throught the extended tests with the drive manufacturer's tech support diagnostic tool (Western Digital) and the drive checks out fine. 

Uncahuab

14.4K Posts

January 4th, 2009 05:00

Try doing a repair function or a repair reinstall. Boot off your XP disk like youre going to install only either select the repar option for a repair or follow the steps in the link to try a repair reinstall

No Events found!