Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2013 10:00

Can't connect to USB driver after MS patch

Sir,

Sir

I found my Dell XPS 8300 fail to connect (the PC detect the device and the volume label but fail to detect it as hard drive) to my USB hard disk after Microsoft patch (I try three models, one with external power supply and the other rely on USB port power). Small USB finger looks OK on the surface but run very slow (take one second to delete one file). Actually, my network card also fail and it recover after I bought it to repair shop and reinstall the LAN card driver. I wonder if there is a similar driver for USB hard disk. I try the WD mybook (1T USB 2.0 model, with external power supply) driver but doesn't help. When go to Dell driver page, a 12K file is download (it seen that it doesn't detect the problem in my machine.) Do you have any suggestion how I can fix my problem.

I also try to download driver (my LAN card fail at the same time and got fixed after the repair shop reinstall the LAN driver) but I am not sure which driver should download and where I can get the correct driver.

Regards

Andrew

July 16th, 2013 11:00

Hi Andrew,

If you suspect that a corrupt windows update is cause of problem, you may perform system restore to take the computer back to previous date when the update was not installed. For performing system restore, you may refer to article Here.

As the issue seems to be with USB devices, I would suggest you to try connecting an alternate device like mouse or keyboard to each USB port individually and check if it is functioning properly. If the USB devices are not working properly,  you may uninstall the USB Root Hubs and update the chipset drivers by following the steps below and see if it helps :

• Unplug all USB devices from the computer.
  • Click on Start.
  • Type 'Device Manager' in the search box.
  • Click on ‘Device Manager’ in the search results. The device manager will open.
  • Click on > sign next to ‘USB Universal Bus Controllers’ to expand the category.
  • Right click on each entry listed under USB Universal Bus Controllers and click on ‘Uninstall’.
  • Click on ‘Yes’ on the security warning.
  • Restart the computer and Windows will automatically install generic drivers for USB Root Hubs.

If the issue persists, please update the chipset drivers from Here -> Enter the Service Tag of system -> Click on Drivers and Downloads -> select the operating system installed on your computer -> Expand the 'chipset' category and download/install both the drivers -> Restart the computer when prompted.

Please reply with the findings. Will take it further from there.

No Events found!