Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2013 13:00

Can't use my DVD/CD Rom. Need to reinstall driver from dell.com.

I have a dell  with windows 7 and a 64 bit.  I can't use my DVD either.  My error says cannot connect to driver.  Can't find the driver on dell.com.  Please help.

1.8K Posts

February 5th, 2013 13:00

Hi SuellenRiggin,

There are firmware updates for the Optical drives in case there are any issues. Please elaborate the issue with the CD/DVD drive. 

Do you get any error message while using CD/DVD drive? If yes, please provide me the exact error message or paste screenshot of same. 

Please let me know if you are able to see the optical drives in 'My computer'. If yes, then please let me know what exactly happens when you insert the disc in optical drive. Do you get any error? 

Please check if CD/DVD drive gets detected in 'Device Manager'. You can check that by following the steps below:

you can check the 'Device Manager if CD/DVD drive gets detected there or if there is any yellow exclamation mark on CD/DVD drive. You can follow the steps below:

• Click on “Start” and right click on “Computer”.
  • Click on “Manage”.
  • Click on “Device Manager”.
  • Under “CD/DVD ROM Devices”, you will find the Optical drive listed. 

If there is any yellow exclamation mark on CD/DVD drive in 'Device Manager', you can remove the upper lower filters by running a Microsoft Fix-it for this issue from the link: http://bit.ly/QCZ40B 

Note: Above step is going to alter the registry settings of the computer. Before you proceed, you can either back up the registry settings or can create a restore point. You can get detailed information on creating the restore point from link: http://bit.ly/RrpN1Q

Once you click on the link for Microsoft Fix it --> Click Run Now --> Save the file --> Double click on it --> and follow the prompts.

If the issue still persists, you can follow the steps below:

• Click 'Start', and then click 'All Programs'.
  • Click 'Accessories', and then click 'Run'.
  • Type 'regedit', and then click 'OK'. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click 'Allow'.
  • In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

• In the right pane, click UpperFilters.  

Note: You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 8.

• On the 'Edit' menu, click 'Delete'.
  • When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click 'Yes'.
  • In the right pane, click 'LowerFilters'.
  • On the 'Edit' menu, click 'Delete'.
  • When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click 'Yes'.
  • Exit Registry Editor.
  • Restart the computer and see if the issue still persists. 

Please share the findings. 

February 5th, 2013 15:00

When I got to this point....HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}...the right frame never had upperFilters in it.   I went to the edit tab...down to delete...but the delete tab would not let me delete it.  The delete file was shaded...couldn't delete it.  I stopped there

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 5th, 2013 16:00

Hi SuellenRiggin,

Please click the link below for the upper and lower filter trick to run the Fix It utility.When you run this, you'll get a report telling you if there was a problem and whether it was fixed. Let me know what happens.

1 Message

March 8th, 2013 22:00

I have the same problem, Iplay so cannot play any CD's and the driver disc from DELL won't  I can't reinstall. I have tried everthing.

I received the driver restore disc with the computer, but I can't restore or play anything. Like you Please Help (Error code 19)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 9th, 2013 03:00

Hi Emmaq,

Click my link below for the upper and lower filter trick. When you run this, you'll get a report telling you if there was a problem and whether it was fixed. Let me know what happens.

No Events found!