Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

November 23rd, 2004 11:00

Cannot play with Half-Life 2 on XPS Gen 3 ! need help.

Hi,

I've bought and installed Half-Life 2 from a DVD. No problem during installation and key validation. But when I start the game (via Steam), I get a small box with a message like "starting a Half-Life 2 game", the DVD is working during a couple of seconds, and then... nothing... Back to the desktop...

No title, no message, no log.
Everything seems to be ok, but the game doesn't run.
Some people on the forums say there is a problem between the DVD (Philips 8601) and the game protection. Does it sound to anybody ? If this is the cause of my problems, I cannot understand why a so recent machine, built for playing games, doesnt work fine with a so popular game like Half-life 2

Any Idea ? Must I upgrade the firmware ? or change the DVD ?

Thanks for your help...

15.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2004 13:00

Hi L-T,
If possible can you try the disc in another PC, this might give you a better idea whether it is the disc itself or the Philips.
I recall someone mentioning having luck with one particular game by booting with the disc already in the drive, but I dislike that habit.
As of yet Dell has not released aafirmware update for this driv but honetly I am expecting one due to a number of issues we have seen.
You might try posting this in the Special Interest-Gaming conference for additional imput.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

49 Posts

November 23rd, 2004 16:00

I believe you will discover the problem is the copy protection scheme that Vivendi uses. It is called SecuROM, and seems to have a real problem with Philips drives.

Try emailing SecuROM, they'll tell you the same thing.

I got my "Evil Genius" game (also from Vivendi Universal) fixed by looking around online for a "no CD" crack. Until a fix comes out that might be your only recourse.

15.3K Posts

November 23rd, 2004 21:00

Due to the Encrytion on many discs coming out on the market, may be another reason to consider a DVD-ROM over a CD/RW when configuring a two drive system with a DVD/RW device...

A note for future reference: Dell does not allow the posting of a link to "NoCD" crack, which is fine, I asked for my previous post to be reviewed....

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 11-23-2004 06:26 PM

November 23rd, 2004 21:00

Yeah..i agree it's the Philips DVD 8601 that has the problem with this game.I had the same issue and i replaced the Philips with a Sony DVD RW and the game runs fine.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but many new games are using secuROM2 encryption.

good luck

9 Posts

November 25th, 2004 01:00

FWIW, I'm having the same problem with the Philips DVD8631 and HL2.  Anyone come up with a legit work around / fix yet?

1 Message

November 25th, 2004 04:00

Hey, I have the same problem with Half-Life 2 not working. It is very frustrating isn't it? I have been through the support process through the people that made Half-LIfe 2 and it is definately the Philips DVD drive that has a problem. They people from HL2 said that we need to call Dell support becuase they will be able to get a new firmware update fast. Somebody just needs to get on the phone and tell them about the problem, because it is very serious. A lot of people probably bought a high-end computer to run the game, including myself.

259 Posts

November 26th, 2004 18:00

If you have sonic My DVD software installed try removing the Sonic Drive Letter Access from the Add/Remove in Control Panel and see if that helps.

Respectfully,

9 Posts

November 26th, 2004 18:00

Thanks for the reply but I had already done that.

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2004 17:00

Thank you, thank you, thank you DELL Mel

Deleting the programme Sonic DLA cured my inability to run Half Life 2 on my Dimension 8300 with its TEAC drive.

Dell support were useless:

> >And also note that are trained to support your computer with
> >the operating system and hardware configuration as it shipped
> >from the Dell factory. I am afraid that we do not have documentation
> >on supporting installation of 3rd party games.
> >
> >With regard to this issue, it will be most appropriate for you
> >to contact the manufacturer of the Game for assistance. They
> >have the knowledge and expertise to best support their product
> >and help you achieve a timely resolution.

This forum and you in particular are great  :)

Cheers

19 Posts

December 5th, 2004 14:00

Have same problem, HL2 wont start on my DVD8631. After flashing latest firmware same thing, so I switched it with my brothers drive till I finish the game ;-)
No Events found!