Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 8th, 2010 14:00

Changing hard drive on Dimention 8400 Desktop

Thanks to all of you who respond to our cries for help.  I am going blind trying to find and read all the posts relevant to my situation.  Unfortunately, each situation seems to be different.

Here is mine.  I have a Dimension 8400 Desktop running XP SP3 Media Edition.  My BIOS is A07.  All of the cards on the motherboard are original.  I am running out of space on my C: drive.  I propose to install a Seagate Barracuda 1 TB internal drive as a second drive, plug it into the currently unused port on the motherboard (labelled 2), clone (using Acronis True Image) the current C: drive to the Seagate, then unplug the C: drive, plug the Seagate drive into the blue port on the mother board (labelled 0) and reboot.  I have no idea what will show in Setup at this point or what I will have to do.  When all this is working ok and I am sure the cloning worked, etc. I will install the original C: drive as a second drive in the port 2 postion, format it and use for additional storage.

My questions are:

Do I have to upgrade the BIOS to A09?  One post I've seen says no.

Will the 8400 support the 1 TB Seagate drive by directly plugging it into the motherboard or do I need to install a SATA II PCIe card?  Some posts say the 8400 won't support a 1 TB drive.  Other posts say it will.  Some imply that the PCIe card is required.

Will I have to go into Control Panel......Disk Management to assign a drive letter to the Seagate drive or will it pick up the next unused letter?

I'll probably have Setup questions later.

Thanks again,

Tom

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 8th, 2010 16:00

Hi again, Tom

My suggestion would be as follows:

1. Shut down, plug in the new drive, boot to the BIOS (F2) and turn on the SATA port. Also set your system to boot from the CD drive first.

2. Boot to the Acronis disc.

3. Use the utilities feature to clone your old drive to the new one.

4. Shut down, remove the old drive and plug the new one into port 0.

5. Fire it up and make sure the system will boot.

If everything looks good, and I see no reason why it shouldn't, then shut down, plug in the old drive and turn on the SATA port in the BIOS, boot to the Acronis disc again and wipe the old drive, then boot to Windows and see if everything looks good.

No Events found!