Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 30th, 2014 21:00

Clean Windows 8.1 PRO Installation onto Dell Inspiron 17R, 1720 Special Edition

1. Can I do a clean Windows 8.1 PRO onto Dell Inspiron 17R, 1720 Special Edition?

2. Will Dell Inspiron BIOS and the motherboard allow me to do so?

For these installation purposes, I am going to get an SSD Drive and get a brand new Windows 8.1. PRO DVD. 

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 31st, 2014 03:00

Hi Ymoiseyev,

Yes. Please refer to the link below for installation instructions. You do not need to purchase another Win 8.1 license but can use the upgrade option if your laptop did not come with Pro.

47 Posts

December 31st, 2014 07:00

2. Will Dell Inspiron BIOS and the motherboard allow me to do a clean Windows 8.1. installation? 

2. Do I need to change my BIOS settings from RAID to AHCHI before or after installation? 

47 Posts

December 31st, 2014 07:00

thanks for your response. If I do a clean installation of Windows 8 and I replace a hard drive with an SSD drive, what is going to happen to my mSATA drive? Is it going to be used or not? When do I need to change the BIOS settings from RAID (Intel Rapid Start Mode) to AHCHI? Is it before or after Windows installation?

many thanks,

Yuri

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 31st, 2014 15:00

Your mSATA can still be used for storage, but obviously you do not need to use it as a cache. The BIOS setting should be changed to AHCI prior to installing the OS. After you install the Intel RST, you should see the mSATA drive available as its own drive.

47 Posts

December 31st, 2014 21:00

thanks for your clarification. It is very helpful. I've got one more question for you. In addition to Intel RST, which I need to install in order to see mSATA as a separate drive, do I also have to install Intel Rapid Rapid Start Technology as well? 

1 Message

January 1st, 2015 03:00

Dell vostro 3360 kann ich nicht Treiber für Bios Donalden kann ich Fon Dell für meine Dell Vostro  treiber bekommen oder komplette System CD .

Mit freundlichen Grüsse.

Ljubicic Radislav.

beste wünsche   in 2015

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 1st, 2015 03:00

No, Rapid Start Technology is only used for cache drives. Again, please refer to the install guide I've linked to below, which addresses these issues.

47 Posts

January 1st, 2015 07:00

thanks for your response, I will check you manual for the steps before I do a clean Windows 8.1 PRO installation. At the moment everything seems to be clear. 

No Events found!