Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 19th, 2017 06:00

Clicking noise on XPS 15 9550 with HDD

After roughly 6 months of use I started noticing clicking sounds in my XPS 15 9550 from 2016 that I can't explain. It sounds like a traditional HDD locking itself to prevent fall or movement damage, but I confirmed it has a SDD.

The clicking sound occurs both during normal use (standing horizontally on level desk, no peripherals attached) as well as when moving the device when it's turned on. Anyone got a clue what's going?

SDD is a NVMe THNSN5512GPUK NV.

Thanks in advance!

Sam 

• 

17K Posts

July 19th, 2017 07:00

sambeesems,

Run the diagnostics on the system or just the hard drive itself to see if the diags come back with any issues. To run the diags on the cd/dvd drive you will need to have a data disk in the drive so it can perform a read test. 

To run the diags on the computer you can start the computer and tap the F12 key. Choose the option ePSA Diagnostics. 

Also, you can update the system bios to the  latest version by clicking the link below.

Dell xps 9550 Drivers, Downloads and Manuals

2 Posts

July 20th, 2017 01:00

I've run a full diagnostic through the method you desribed (F12 when booting) and through SupportAssist. Both have come up clean.

Very much wondering what parts in this laptop would actually be able to make clicking noises. Can you also elaborate on why updating the BIOS might resolve such an issue?

• 

17K Posts

July 20th, 2017 06:00

sambeesems,

The parts in the computer that could click are the hard drive, cd/dvd drive and possibly a fan. Sometimes bios updates resolve certain issues in the computer. 

No Events found!