Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 26th, 2009 08:00

Clicking sound on hd ST9500420ASG ATA

This is my third Stuido 16 xps with same hd and it has a clicking sound. Is there a fix to this? Has anyone else experienced it?

157 Posts

September 26th, 2009 10:00

Try running error check on it and tick other box too that fixes bad sectors. (It'll take a long time on reboot)

190 Posts

September 26th, 2009 13:00

This is a brand new computer and should not have bad sectors. I moved from one area to another and heard the noise then it is gone. I once had a car that we bought brand new. Heard a noise for months and complained to the dealer. Finally a rep for the car maker contacted us and heard the noise also. Investigated and it turned out that someone at the factory had left a COKE BOTTLE between the panel of the door. Took apart the door removed the coke bottle and noise gone. Sure hope someone didn't leave a loose screw in here.

Megs

4 Posts

September 26th, 2009 23:00

This is a known compatibility issue between the Dell 1640 and the Seagate ST9500420ASG. Using the drive in another laptop does not result in this problem. Likewise, using another drive in this laptop does not result in this problem.

Seagate acknowledges the problem and says it is up to Dell to release a firmware update for the drive (or a BIOS revision) to fix the incompatibility. Seagate does not release firmware updates to end users, only vendors, which is not ridiculous for components like hard drives. In essence, vendors are expected to test the fixes/enhancements and decide whether the inherent risk of performing the firmware flash is worthwhile when considering the fixes/enhancements.

After I finally managed to speak with a "high ranking" supervisor at Dell, she confirmed knowledge of the problem, but stated that no fix was in sight. She then contacted an engineer, who was not aware of the problem. I pointed out that the Dell community forums (these forums) are full of people having this problem. I pointed them here: http://www.google.com/search?q=ST9500420ASG+click+site%3Adell.com

Likewise, Apple recently fixed this very same incompatibility issue. Here is an enormous topic discussing it: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2049659&start=1560&tstart=0

Until Dell fixes this properly, the only solution (more like a hack) is to disable parking of the drive head entirely. This solves the clicking and freezing, but increases overall system temperature and decreases the drive's overall lifetime. Naturally, that's not something I would recommend.

That's all I know. I hope it saves you some searching.

190 Posts

September 27th, 2009 10:00

Thank you for your very informative post. It would appear that Dell would not use these drives. Had I known I would not have gotten the free fall drive. After talking to some of the techs and customer service I can see why they are not doing as welll financially as they used to.

Thanks for shedding some light on this,

Megs

190 Posts

October 17th, 2009 08:00

Dell had said that they did release a file but on some seagates it has had no effect at least that is what the tech told me. If enough of us having a problem insist on a new drive maybe Dell will realize the money they are losing.

Seagate says it is not their problem that Dell has to come up with the solution. I personally will never buy a Seagate drive again.

jonjanego don't hold your breath for a firmware update from Dell. It appears that they are ignoring this problem.

Paplover

2 Posts

October 17th, 2009 08:00

Thanks for doing the investigation.  I just wanted to throw my hat into the ring here and say that I'm experiencing the same issue with my Studio XPS 13 laptop, using Windows 7 RC.

Looking forward to Dell releasing the firmware update!

4 Posts

October 18th, 2009 15:00

Dell agreed to replace the notebook with a new one (although I'm not sure how that is supposed to help). This was three weeks ago. Unfortunately, the specs of the system they are building for me are incorrect. I really would have loved to inform them of this, but I cannot reach the corporate representative who called me in the first place. The system just shipped, but it is going right back since it has the wrong networking card (and this makes a difference for me).

I have filed 3 unresolved incident tickets with Dell so far, but nobody cares. I am now filing a report with the BBB. If all else fails, I will go ahead and start a complaint with my credit card to get the refund, but they should not be the ones who foot the bill due to Dell's incompetence.

Meggie13, the Seagate drive works fine in my other systems. The problem here is a compatibility issues with Dell's motherboard. This is something that should have been detected and fixed in the QA process of the notebook's design. Your problem should be will Dell, not Seagate.

190 Posts

October 18th, 2009 16:00

The reason that the specs are different is you are getting a refurbished or a turn in computer. They are not building you one. I went through the same hoops with them. I never did get the right video cam I think what I got was 1.2 when it was supposed to be a 2.0. I also got a different networking card but since it works and they refused to put the original one I ordered in I am using it.

Good for you for filing with the BBB. More of this needs to happen but Dell really does not care. My hard drive clicking still remains unresolved.

Was your orginal notebook NEW? Unless they tell you (although in your contract it is written they replace with refurb.) that you are getting a refurbished product it is against the law to tell you it is a new product. It has to be labeled refurb. Read my past posts regarding this issue.

Dell agreed to replace the notebook with a new one (although I'm not sure how that is supposed to help). This was three weeks ago. Unfortunately, the specs of the system they are building for me are incorrect. I really would have loved to inform them of this, but I cannot reach the corporate representative who called me in the first place. The system just shipped, but it is going right back since it has the wrong networking card (and this makes a difference for me).

I have filed 3 unresolved incident tickets with Dell so far, but nobody cares. I am now filing a report with the BBB. If all else fails, I will go ahead and start a complaint with my credit card to get the refund, but they should not be the ones who foot the bill due to Dell's incompetence.

Meggie13, the Seagate drive works fine in my other systems. The problem here is a compatibility issues with Dell's motherboard. This is something that should have been detected and fixed in the QA process of the notebook's design. Your problem should be will Dell, not Seagate.

4 Posts

October 18th, 2009 18:00

The original notebook was new and cost a whopping $2400.00. Every spec was maxed out and there is a 4 year warranty with coverage for accidental damage.

It seems that they really are building me a new notebook from scratch (not a refurb), but they messed up the networking card. I can retrieve the build status from the order number and it's just like a new order.

I can tell you that I certainly will not accept a refurb. They will either replace the system with a new properly working one, or they will give me a refund (which I would prefer at this point). I have filed with the BBB and will take this to the media if I have to.

190 Posts

October 18th, 2009 21:00

I don't know how they do it but mine also had specs. It took almost a month for them to "build" it. I called a few times and was given the reason it was taking so long was it was a very popular computer. It sounded like a canned response when they said it. I was within the 21 days of return for the one that I got that I never unpacked so could return with no penalties but I wanted a Dell since I have been getting them since the 80's and have always been pleased and recommended them. So I accepted the offer of a NEW computer in return for my sending that one back. NO MORE Dells for me now, too much aggrevation and time spent. By it taking so long to get the second "new" one and it coming in the way it did with 2 other personal folders and macros in it I pressured the tech when I called and he finally told me it was a refurb. I had to call in a few times as the computer just was not right. I finally after many calls and aggrevation got customer service who transferred me to someone else who transferred me to someone else and then someone else and so on. Finally they said send it back and they would send me a "new" one. well the new one I got for returning that one was not a new one. I spent 8 hours straight going from one cue to another and getting 2 responses from 2 different techs the computer was a refurb. Some of the techs said it was new but 2 said it was refurb. It seems the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing there.

I have finally gotten a computer that I think is new and I called and had a tech look it up and he said it was new. It seems they can tell by the number in the computer if someone else had previously owned it or at least that is what I was told. I am happy with this one other then the ticking sound.

I still feel that Dell needs to recall these St drives and replace them with new ones at no cost to the owner (I also have a 3 year warranty). They know the problem and tried to make a fix for it since one tech told me that the A10 bios I had was for this purpose but it appears that it has not worked on all the computers. I hope you do take this to the media and see where Dell will go from here with you. I don't want a refurb hd is the reason I have not pushed it as yet and am also waiting for Windows 7 to come out. For all the problems, time and distress and having to stay at home waiting on Fedex delivery and pickups I feel I deserve something in return.

190 Posts

October 19th, 2009 09:00

I checked the lap top and the drive is ST9500420ASG ATA. Will your new computer have the same hard drive or are they putting a new one in it of a different brand like WD.

No Events found!