I recently bought a brand new 320gb Hitachi hard drive to replace the old one which is 100gb. So what I did was use Acronis True Image and backed it up as an img file and installed it into the new hard drive without any problems. Everything was exactly the same including the capacity storage. I tried to expand the partition using Acronis Disk Director and it still said that 100gb was the max capacity. I just deleted all the partitions and try to reinstall windows and start from scratch. And when I tried to reinstall Windows xp the unallocated partition is still 93gb. I have an Insipron E1705 laptop. What can I do to get full capacity of the 320gb I'm suppose to get?
It sounds a lot like you're suffering from the Host Protected Area problem. This page by Dan Goodell will give you info on one scheme that makes use of the HPA, Dell's Media Direct version 2, I think: Understanding Dell's MediaDirect Partition. Additional information can be found on the Wilder's Security Forum. Try this thread: Restore on Larger Disk Changed Disk Size. I have examined both, but am by no means an expert. I recall, however, that there were a few posts in the Wilder's Security Forum thread that mentioned tools that would allow you to reset the size of the drive. Basically, each drive vendor has tools particular to the drives that they make that are supposed to allow you to perform the reset.
I had a similar issue with a Samsung drive. I tried copying the image across from the old disk to the new, bigger disk and everything was identical. Including to logical size. By the time I started all this, the shop I bough the disk from had closed and wouldn't be open again till Monday (this all happened on a Sat night) and realisticly I wouldn't be able to get to the store till the following Saturday anyway. I discovered after much searching that this was a known issue with the particular drive I had, and the fix was to download a firmware patch, apply that to the drive and then power it off for 1 minute before attempting to copy data to it. The instructions were poor and they should have asked the user to power the drive off (by disconnecting the cables) for a minimum of 2 minutes. I powered off for a minute (by removing cables) and found that my capacity had increased by only 30% which was very odd and not documented. After powering the drive off for another minnute, it seemed to work the way it was supopsed to with the capacity I paid for and it has been working well for over 1 year now.
Try and plug in the disk to a pc via usb a caddy, £5 or £6 and open disk management, see there.
Or try partion magic....