Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 7th, 2006 17:00

Computer dead - how to get data from hard drive to a new laptop

Here is my problem.  My daughter's 2.5 year old dimension 4600c is dead.  Will not switch on.  I'm going to get her a laptop to replace the desktop system (that's what she wants anyways).

She has tons of important stuff ( IE favorites, research, other data, pix, music, etc) on the internal hard drive (40 gig 7200  RPM standard on 4600c Hitachi ATA/IDE) of the dead desktop. 

Any suggestions on how I can go about transferring stuff from the internal harddrive of a dead desktop over to the internal harddrive of a new laptop????

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 7th, 2006 17:00

Buy an external USB 2.0 drive case, mount the drive in it, and attach it to the notebook.

January 7th, 2006 18:00

I dont think buy a usb2.0 drive casing will beacuse to the best of my knowledge a usb2.0 drive casing an ide interposer card which is specific for slim line mobile hard drives online.Although there are certain desktops which use the slimeline mode , the dimension 4600c does not use a modular may slimline hare drives.

The dim 4600c in your case is a standard 40gb hdd which has a power connector at its rear and will need some sort of power provisions to get detected in the laptop, which the usb 2.o drive casing will not supply.

Hence the best way i feel is to remove the hdd from the dim 4660c system, install it as a slave in another desktop system and the back the data through it.

else give it  to data backup companies who will rip the hdd apart, take each disc out one by one and theyw ill back data through each disc using laser data extracting technology, something that was done to recover data from hdds that were burn in 9/11 wtc collapse.but this option will be expensive. hence consider backing up data using a friends desktop computer.

January 7th, 2006 19:00

well I think ejn63 is right. My apologies since i didnot know that there are ide to usb2.0 casings avilable for  desktop hdds too.However just 1 think to check. Just see if  the usb port required for this casing a normal usb 2.0 port or a powered usb ports. because some laptops have powered usb ports for high power devices and the powered usb port will be a bit larger in size than a normal usb 2.0 ports. infact it will be twice the size of a normal usb port.anyways ejn63 is the man.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 7th, 2006 19:00

The drive is a standard desktop unit - something like the one below should work just fine.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145314

1.7K Posts

January 7th, 2006 22:00

Hi,

FYI

In addition to the USB 2 external hard disk enclosures, this device allows any normal IDE device to connect to a USB 2 port, The only IDe devie I could not get to work was my IDE conneced Tape Backup Unit. I didn't think this would work, but had to try to find out. 

The adapter comes with its own PSU, needing a mains power supply, which powers the adapter and the IDE device it is connected to.

Similar devices are widely available.

When used with an adapter from 2½" to 3½" drives you could easily connect a laptop hard disk to a USB 2 port.

Again widely available.

External enclosures are available for both  2½" to 3½" drives.

Edit for typo

Ceri

Message Edited by ceri sheeran on 01-08-2006 12:15 AM

9 Posts

January 7th, 2006 23:00

Hey thanks to all of you.

I think I'm gonna try to get an appropriate external case - that way I can use the extra storage later (after reformatting the old drive, after removing the necessary data) as extra storage for my old clunker I use.

Thought about installing the drive in my home desktop but don't think that will work since it is windowsME (yeah, I know - don't tell me) and the 4600c drive is an xp boot drive.  I'm thinking it would give ME fits.

Like I said,  thanks for all the quick responses and advice.  Y'all are the good.

Tiggrrr
No Events found!