Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 19th, 2007 23:00

Computer makes weird noises

When my computer starts up and random times when I am using my computer, this noise also up. I hear the following noise sequences repeatedly from the HD:

beep beep beep...beep beep beep....beep beeeeeepp

It isn't a high pitched noise, but it is the noise that computers usually make when it is working on something.

When this happens, the screen freezes and I can't use the mouse or open any programs.

What I tried to do to fix it:
Disk cleanup
Defragged
chkdsk /f

I don't know what else to do now. Any thoughts?

Dimension 4700

Message Edited by Life0 on 11-19-2007 07:46 PM

1.7K Posts

November 20th, 2007 00:00

Those are error codes. The sequence indicates a hardware problem. time for a new part.

31 Posts

November 20th, 2007 01:00

I need to get a new HD??

1.7K Posts

November 20th, 2007 02:00

Where is the motherboard speaker? That is where I would expect the noise to come from. You may want to open up the case and then power up while you listen. The beep codes usually do not point toward the hd.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 20th, 2007 03:00

Life0

Is the power button LED, solid green, blinking green, solid amber, blinking amber?

What is the reading of the diagnostic LED's on the back panel?

Have you tried running Dell diagnostics extended test on the system?

How to run the Dell Diagnostics Utility

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

31 Posts

November 20th, 2007 04:00

I am not very computer savvy, haven't opened up my tower before.

Anyway, the lights blink green at the front when it starts to act up. On the back, I just see green lights showing A B C D E.

I will run Dell Diagnostics...I'm afraid of my computer dying on me.

31 Posts

November 23rd, 2007 19:00

I just bought a new Internal HD...but I'll have to uninstall the current one because there's no room for another.

I've got an external HD as back up, so how do I go about saving my current Internal HD data to my external - do I create an image of the internal and save it onto my external, or do I just clone it?

1.7K Posts

November 24th, 2007 00:00

You could use a program such as ghost to clone the drive or use windows transfer program to back the data on the external and then replace drive, install windows, do all your updates, install applications and updates and then do the transfer program to receive the files.
No Events found!