Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2010 21:00

Computer reads only half of CD's

My CD rom drive will only occasionaly read cd's. This has been a problem since there are certain programs my family needs to install onto the computer, and also ripping music cd's. I have a dell inspiron 530s with windows vista.

I already went to the vista forum with this problem and they had me go into registry and delete this stuff but that hasn't helped. They then told me it was a hardware problem.

I also have tried to download a driver from this website but when I try to install it it says I already have it. And I've also tried the firmware, but that didn't help.

I figure the problem is with the cd-rom part itself and I might need to buy a new one, though I don't want to spend that money only to figure out the problem had to do with something else.

7 Posts

May 25th, 2010 19:00

Please Help.

I don't want to go out and buy a new driver if I don't have to. All that I need is help in diagnosing this problem.

881 Posts

May 26th, 2010 14:00

Hi SCOTTSOR - I do not have an answer for you. Sorry. One of the resident experts in this area is offline for a while. Have you tried searching the forum for a similar problem? The person I refer to is OSPREY4. Find a post of his-> He has A "Tool Box" in his signature with helpful tools and information. Maybe something there could help you.

Hopefully one of the experts will respond soon. I know just enough to be dangerous.

Good Luck!

Jeff

No Events found!