Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2013 09:00

Creating a Rescue Disk for Dell XPS 8500 on a usb pen drive or on dvds. Is it possible?

I have just bought a DELL XPS 8500 desktop computer with WIndows 8.  I have already created a Factory Backup on my dvds.  Now I am trying to create a RESCUE DISK.  When I am trying to create it the option given is to create on a 1tb external hard disk.  I don’t want to create a RESCUE DISK on my 1tb external hard disk because it is a waste of space since only 9GB is needed.  I would like to create a RESCUE Disk on 3 DVDs or on a 16GB pen drive.  

I have updated the DELL BACKUP AND RECOVERY but the problem still persisted.

Is it possible to create a RESCUE DISK on DVDs or pen drives?  If yes, how can I do that?

Thanks for your help in advance.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 6th, 2013 18:00

Hi Shadow186,

I've got a system here I just tried with a 16GB flash drive. Same problem (asks for external drive). Plugged my 500GB Seagate and it works.

Let me ask around.

2.4K Posts

May 6th, 2013 19:00

I have just bought a DELL XPS 8500 desktop computer with WIndows 8.  I have already created a Factory Backup on my dvds.  Now I am trying to create a RESCUE DISK.  When I am trying to create it the option given is to create on a 1tb external hard disk.  I don’t want to create a RESCUE DISK on my 1tb external hard disk because it is a waste of space since only 9GB is needed.  I would like to create a RESCUE Disk on 3 DVDs or on a 16GB pen drive.  

I have updated the DELL BACKUP AND RECOVERY but the problem still persisted.

Is it possible to create a RESCUE DISK on DVDs or pen drives?  If yes, how can I do that?

Thanks for your help in advance.

You can create a recovery drive using Windows 8.

Go to the Win8 start screen and type recovery drive. Click settings and then the top option create recovery drive. Insert a 1gb flash. Follow the prompts. Takes about 1min on my Area 51 system to make it. Uses 223mb of flash space but I do not have the recovery partition anymore, I deleted it.

I would assume if you use the Dell partition it would be much larger, whatever the size is for it. Pretty sure a 16gb would be enough using the native Win8 recovery.

You can also use a CD/DVD but I have never tried it. My opinion is to stick with the native Win8 recovery. Most things are saved to the cloud anyway with your Microsoft account and will be restored.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 7th, 2013 17:00

I actually use Acronis, so the program disc is my rescue disc.

No Events found!