Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MJ

July 21st, 2008 02:00

DVD/CD drive not recognized / won't play discs

Hi!

I have a Dell inspirion 1720 and the DVD/CD drive is not recognizing the CD I just put in it.  I was having trouble opening up the drive (and can only do it manually now with a paper clip) and now that I put a disc in there, the computer isn't recognizing the disc inside.  I went to 'Computer' in the Start Menu and it doesn't say there is a disc present at all.

What should I do?  Please help!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

July 21st, 2008 14:00

What kind of CD is it? Music, data, ...

July 21st, 2008 21:00

Music.

And after contacting Dell Support, they instructed me to reseat the Optical Drive (which I did) and then restart my computer.  When the Dell screen appeared, I was instructed to click F2 and check the Boot Sequence and determine whether or not the Optical Drive was being recognized.  It was listed on the right-hand side of the screen, but DVD-CD Drive (or something to that effect) was listed.  And the drive STILL doesn't work!

Please help!!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

July 22nd, 2008 01:00

Open up My Computer and right-click over D:\ drive. Does it show anything?

Perhaps you are expecting autorun and that isn't happening?

July 22nd, 2008 02:00

So, I right-click on D drive and then what?  The D drive is the RECOVERY drive (or atleast that's what it says above it's icon in the 'Computer' window.  Please explain.

Autorun isn't happening.  I think my DVD/CD drive is E drive anyway... 

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

July 22nd, 2008 14:00

Right-click over E:\ drive then. What do you see?

July 22nd, 2008 22:00

There is no E drive.  I meant in my previous message that I suspect that the DVD/CD drive that is not showing up in the 'Computer' window is E drive.  But it isn't there.  The only icons/drives that show up in the 'Computer' window is OS (C drive) and RECOVERY (D drive). 

As I mentioned in earlier messages, my system is not recognizing my DVD/CD drive AT ALL.

Now what???

No Events found!