Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 29th, 2016 06:00

DVD Drive Dell Dimension E520

I have difficulty burning ISO files using the original Dell Dimension E520 DVD drive. The system is about eight years old. Should I replace the drive? If so, please recommend a compatible drive.

Will the current drive burn to RW media, or is it best to use +R media?

If it matters, I use the kubuntu operating system, and have have k3b burning software installed

Thanks

104 Posts

December 30th, 2016 09:00

Can you recommend the media which I should use that will give me the best chance of burning iso files. For example, DVD-r or DVD+r media, and the make.

What are generic DVD's?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 5th, 2017 09:00

I would suggest you to run the thorough test on the optical drive in diagnostics. Please follow the steps mentioned below to run the complete test on the optical drive.

1. Turn on or restart the computer.

2. Immediately at the Dell logo screen, starting tapping the key once a second until the One Time Boot menu appears (if the computer boots to Windows turn the computer off and try again).

3.  At the One Time Boot menu, press the arrow key to highlight Boot to Utility Partition and press

4. When the Dell Diagnostics Main Menu appears, select the Custom test.

5. Run a test on Optical drive.

Also, you can burn the ISO file to any DVD+R or DVD-R or DVD-RW tyoe of discs.

104 Posts

January 6th, 2017 05:00

Thank you for responding
I now have Linux installed on my machine, and, hence, could not run the Boot Utility Partition from the F12 key. However, I retained the Drivers and Utilities (DELL) Disk and ran the Custom Test from there.
The results from the CD ROM/DVD drive indicated passes on Quick Check; Read; Seek; and Self Test. Test results: Pass.
I assume that the drive is fine. Can I also assume that the drivers and firmware are also in good working order?
Many people on the Net have told me that I am much more likely to have success when burning iso files if I use either DVD +r, or DVD-r disks, rather than RW media. What is you view?
Best wishes

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 11th, 2017 12:00

Hi,

We will not be able to comment on the DVD-RW media not compatible for ISO image. The difference between DVD+R, DVD-R and DVD-RW is just burning technology.

104 Posts

January 12th, 2017 05:00

Thank you for the response

'We will not be able to comment on the DVD-RW media not compatible for ISO image. The difference between DVD+R, DVD-R and DVD-RW is just burning technology.'

What do you when you say '...DVD-RW media not compatible for iso image...'?

Surely the difference in the media quoted above is in the formatting of the disks rather than in the burning technology used to create the content!

Do you agree that my burner appears to be working well as determined by the software utility tests.

No Events found!