Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

3 Posts

December 30th, 2018 13:00

DVD Drive Doesn't Recognize DVDs

I have a Dell XPS 8700 running Windows 10 and DVD drive GHBON.

I tried to burn a file onto a blank DVD-R yesterday, but the drive wouldn't recognize the disc.  I had another computer also running Windows 10 that was able to do the job.

The drive appears in the Device Manager as working properly.

I tested pre-recorded DVDs, DVD-Rs that I've burnt and viewed in the past, pre-recorded CDs and blank CD-Rs.  The drive was only able to recognize the CDs.

I've re-installed the DVD drive through Device Manager and made sure my BIOS and other drivers are up to date.  I don't recall this being an issue in the past. 

Any ideas on how to solve this?

3 Posts

Thanks for the response.

• It is set for region 1.
  • Under Storage Controllers it has the Intel C220 series chipset SATA AHCI Controller installed.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

UNINSTALL the drive in device manager.

Remove upper and lower filters.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Set Region on the drive to 1 for usa. Sata Operation must be AHCI for DVD to work and INTEL CHIPSET Drivers are not optional.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs

This problem may be caused by two Windows registry entries that have become corrupted. To use Registry Editor to delete the corrupted Registry entries, follow these steps:

1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or select Allow
  3. In the navigation pane, locate and then select the following registry subkey:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
  4. In the right pane, select UpperFilters.

Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.
  5. On the Edit menu, select Delete.
  6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, select Yes.
  7. In the right pane, select LowerFilters.

Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry, go to the next method.
  8. On the Edit menu, select Delete.
  9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, select Yes.
  10. Exit Registry Editor.
  11. Restart the computer.

Note To use this method, you must be logged on to Windows as an administrator. To verify that you are signed in as an administrator, bring up the Control Panel, select User Accounts, and then choose Manage User Accounts.

Important:

• Follow the steps in this section carefully. Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Before you modify it, back up the registry for restorationin case problems occur.
  • After trying this method, some apps, such as CD or DVD recording software, might not work correctly. If so, try uninstalling and reinstalling the affected app. Check with the creator of the app to see if there is an updated version.

No Events found!