Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2010 20:00

DVD Drive

I have a PLDS DVDRWBD DH-6E2S in my XPS8100 and it will not auto read the disk I am trying to install.  The disk is Corel Suite X5 and the directions indicate that it should autorun or I can use the run method and type in X:\autorun.exe and it should respond. Yikes it doesn't.  Is someone willing to set me straight on a better approach to getting the program loaded?  Could it possibly be a disk drive issue that I have to turn on/off?  Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 20th, 2010 07:00

Hi Tiltondavis,

Are you able to read the disc contents in Explorer? To do this, open Explorer, then right click the drive letter that corresponds to your DVD drive, usually D, and select Explore. If you see the list of files and folders on the disc, simply double click the setup or install file.

December 20th, 2010 11:00

Thanks I appreciate your consideration. Trying to access the D:\ drive does nothing except cause the drive to prompt me to insert the disk.  Perhaps I need to add that my machine is a Windows 7, 64 bit and the disk will not open.  However, the disk will open on an XP, 32 bit toshiba portable.  Also, but perhaps I should ask Corel, I have my previous version of X3 suite on my 64 bit machine and it works well... I have not removed the X3 before trying to install the X5 version because the X5 version is an upgrade and I thought I needed the X3 to show my original version... thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 20th, 2010 17:00

Have you had trouble with any of your other discs reading in this drive? Try a couple and see if the problem is only this one disc. Try both CDs and DVDs, if you have both.

December 20th, 2010 18:00

All three DVDs and five CDs (music) were auto-read without a problem.  Thanks for the steps...I feel like a dork.  It appears as though I have a bad DVD disk from Corel...or am I missing something?   I will see what Corel can do for me.  Thanks.

December 20th, 2010 19:00

Oops...Wait a minute...it seems if it was bad media, then the disk should not be readable on the portable running XP... can you suggest a possible other issue?  Sorry.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 21st, 2010 04:00

I've seen this happen, where a certain disc is simply not readable on a certain drive, while everything else appears to work.

There is a firmware update in downloads HERE. Why not give that a try?

1 Message

December 21st, 2010 08:00

Hello Everyone,

This is stelin lindsey and according to my opinion is that The computers main storage media device used to permanently store all data on the computer. Also referred to as a hard disk drive or abbreviated as HD or HDD, the hard drive was first introduced on September 13,1956 and consists of one or more hard disk platters inside of air sealed casing. Most hard drives are permanently stored in an internal drive bay at the front of the computer and are connected with either ATA, SCSI, or a SATA cable and power cable. Below is an illustration of the inside of a hard disk drive.

Mobile Phone Reviews

No Events found!