Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 13th, 2010 15:00

DVD-R will not read in Samsung DVD-ROM -SD616T - F308

I copied some AVI files to a DVD-R and my Samsung DVD-ROM -SD616T - F308 drive on my old Dimension 4500 (Windows XP) will not read it...

I cannot manually open the drive via My Computer or Windows Explorer because when I put the DVD-R in the DVD-ROM bay it starts trying to read it and the green light is constantly flickering on and the drive is making noise trying to read it.....to the point where I cannot even eject it from the bay to stop it.

I do not have my DVD-ROM on Autoplay that I can see. 

The Dell manual for the drive says that it is compatible with DVD-R so I don't know what else could be wrong except the drive being old.

(I did once play a UK DVD in the bay and used VLC player to play it so not sure if doing that ruined the firmware for the drive?). 

The region code was not changed from U.S.

Other DVD-RW discs I put in there play fine....only DVD-R is not.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions on how to fix this.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 14th, 2010 10:00

Hi Reneerose242000,

If you are writing AVI files to the disc, then this should be an ordinary data disc. If on the other hand you encoded those AVI files to DVD video, then it would be read as a DVD video disc. So that may factor into the diagnosis of this problem.

If the drive cannot read the disc at all, then I would suspect one of two problems. First, there's a problem with the disc itself. The second possibility is that your older DVD-ROM drive is simply not capable of reading a newer DVD-R disc. To determine this, try reading the disc using another computer. 

19 Posts

September 15th, 2010 21:00

I had this issue with a few of the data dvd discs  but not my movie dvd discs  burned on xp only a few though.  What I finally figured out is the software I burned those paticular discs with  (I used Roxio for data discs and DVDFAB for my movies) since I put dvdfab on the new pc it saw those ok but those dratted data discs I finally figured out that I have to open those 4 discs with Roxio so I had to go to Roxio's website and download a reader as I have a different data burning program on Vista.  I hope that helps.  The silly things we must endure due to progress, right?

Morath

September 15th, 2010 21:00

Thanks Osprey4.  I did play the DVD-Rs I made in my region free DVD player for my TV and the region free DVD player read the AVI files fine.

I have  not tried playing the DVD-Rs in another computer as I don't have ready access to another one.

I should say I burned these in a 2010 Samsung external burner with Nero.

It does, however read DVD-RWs I've burned...so I can't go and figure out why....

It's weird though because the manual for the Dell DVD-ROM drive says it does play DVD-Rs.....

It's frustrating because I can't even manually open the disc from the drive.  The autoplay I recall disabling so the disc shouldn't try to play when it goes in there but it still tries to and it continuously flickers green until I end up having to turn off the main power to power up the tower and eject the disc.

Sorry for the whining.  I will see if I can play these in another computer.  What's sad is I emptied my recycle bin of the source files so I can't do a reburn, unless I rip the DVD-R onto another hard drive on another computer to reburn them....:emotion-9:

And now I think about upgrading to a spanking new laptop.....:emotion-2:

19 Posts

September 15th, 2010 22:00

Do you have the same software on the new computer for burning data dvd's if not please refer to my previous post.  Downloading a free reader software is cheaper than a new laptop...but not near as fun.  :emotion-5:

Morath

September 16th, 2010 22:00

Oh...I think I see what you mean Morath.  I burned with Nero using an external burner.   I have installed VLC as an alternate player.  I just can't stop the DVD-R from autoplaying when it goes in the drive bay so I can't make it play with VLC as it won't stop blinking that green light long enough for me to open it up with a different software reader.

No Events found!