Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 22nd, 2012 10:00

DVD-RAM Education

Trying to get educated on the best way to edit and store family home movies

For years I've had a Panasonic DVD Recorder with an internal hard drive. I could edit whatever is recorded and keep them on the hard drive or dub them to DVD-R discs. Once finalized, they couldn't be edited or transferred back to the hard drive to make additional copies.

My solution was to buy DVD-RAM discs as they were rewriteable and was the only format that could go back into the hard drive for re-editing. I have stored the videos of the kids growing up all on these RAM discs.

I have now bought my first computer (XPS 8300) for the first time in over 10 years and boy am I ignorant. I realize that my Panasonic is a dinosaur and that I need to start editing on my new computer instead.

I find that my finalized DVD-R's can play in the 8300, but it won't read the RAM. Is it because RAM's can't read on an 8300? Is there a setting I have to activate on the 8300? Do I have to download something to read DVD-RAM (s) on my 8300?

Do I need to finalize the RAM discs before putting them in a computer and if so, does that defeat the purpose of editing the raw material on the RAM discs?

Finally, is it all necessary? Can a computer program take a finalized DVD-R into my 8300 and to edit the raw material and then burn the new version back onto a new DVD-R?

I'm not married to DVD-RAM's, I just want to take the video and data stored on DVD-RAM's to make cool memories without using ancient technology and learn how to do it before my Panasonic breaks for good.

Thanks!!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 22nd, 2012 14:00

DVD ram disks are very unreliable and not suited for storage and cannot be finalized. They should be used for recording tv shows and other videos that you watch once and erase. They must be watched on the recorder that recorded them. They cannot play on the new computer. Any movie editing must be done on a hard drive and the finished results should be stored on a hard drive with copies on a regular dvd that can be finalized so it plays on other devices--not rewritable disks. Even those can fail after a while. Then you make a new dvd from the masters on your hard drive. Also make backup copies to store on another hard drive. An external hard drive that you use for backups and windows 7 system images is a good investment for your new computer.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 22nd, 2012 16:00

Hi AncientTech,

As Mary G said, DVD-RAM is becoming obsolete. But there are some newer drives that support it. You might think about adding a new DVD burner that supports this format, while keeping your existing drive.

Here's a Plextor drive for $38 that will work. But just look for the term "super multi" as you shop for drives that support DVD-RAM.

May 23rd, 2012 06:00

Thank you both. So this Plextor Drive could read my existing RAM discs and then from there, I can load them into my xps 8300? Does this Drive replace my current drive in my 8300? And is it true that a finalized DVD-R can't be downloaded into my 8300 for future editing? I ask because I can take my existing RAM's and convert to a finalized DVD-R through my not-yet-broken Panasonic.

May 23rd, 2012 08:00

Thank you! What's a good program for Windows 7 (free or under $100) that the masses use to edit their DVD-R videos?

10.9K Posts

May 23rd, 2012 08:00

I think the easiest way is to take your existing DVD-RAM's and convert them to a finalized DVD-R through your Panasonic DVR.  The DVD-Rs that you create can then be used on the computer with it's existing DVD drive.  

If you choose to add a drive, you can replace the existing one or add it as a second drive below the existing one.  

May 29th, 2012 12:00

Thank you for all your help!

No Events found!