Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

March 8th, 2006 13:00

DVD-ROM does not respond

I have a Sony DVD-ROM DDU1615 in my XPS.  Sometimes when I put in a CD or DVD is will start spinning and spinning and will not read it.  When this happens it locks up my machine and I can not eject the disk by pushing the button.  When I try to choose the drive in "My Computer" it locks up my machine and I've had to do a hard reset of the entire system.  This happens to different CDs at different times.  Most of the time the CDs work fine.  Also, when I try to rip music to my hard drive using Musicmatch, the songs have crackling and popping noise (all the time).  When I use my other drive, a DVD+-RW, it works fine for both plyback and ripping.  I have downloaded and installed the firmware update on the Dell site.  Any ideas on how to fix this?  Is it a driver problem? I do not wish to "hard reset" each time this happens and I really perfer to use this drive to rip CDs. 

Thank you

3 Posts

March 8th, 2006 17:00

Hi Predator,

I have read several of your posts regarding DLA and have followed your link but do not see the same screen as documented.  I assume "enable digital audio" is the same as DLA so I unchecked the box.   I'm not sure if that fixed the problem of continuous spinning yet as it is intermitten.  However it did not fix the crackling and popping sound when ripping CDs.  Any idea about that?  It seems the drive starts fine, then slows, speeds up, slows. I have checked and it is set for DMA.

Thanks for your help.

15.3K Posts

March 8th, 2006 17:00

Hi Gagetgal,

If perhaps you have Sonic`s DLA program, consider disabling it for now.
Click on the CD/RW link in my post and scroll to Section 13-0, article 12.
Also, same CD/RW link, verify that the drives are running in DMA mode and not PIO mode, Section 15, article 14.

Best Regards!

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

15.3K Posts

March 9th, 2006 19:00

Hi Gagetgal,

DLA is Sonic`s Packet Writing program, not the same as Enable Digital Audio but you do need that box checked.
As for DMA, no disrespect, I just want to be sure, it should say DMA Mode 2, not DMA if available.
Also it possible you may have a loose conection, consider shutting down, open the case and reseat the IDE cable going from the motherboard to the back of the drive.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

3 Posts

March 10th, 2006 00:00

Okay, found DLA, already in DMA mode 2 so will check the cable next.

--Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

No Events found!