Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2008 06:00

DVD drive Problems

I bought a Dell 1537 recently. Got it delivered on the 22nd of nov. From day one i have been facing a prob with the dvd drive (OPTIARC).

Dvd media does not start up normally. If it does the application hangs after a minute of playback. I can t explore the dvd in My computer. Its horribly slow and the explorer hangs. I tried other dvds, media as well data dvds like the DIGIT dvds. All face the same prob.

Took up the complaint with dell customare care and technical and somehow. Issue has lasted more than 20 days now. They have not yet given a solution to the prob, and they treat the case as if my laptop is an year old. It has got to a point were the customer care are disowning the case as technical, even though the system has been defective since day one. The tech do not respond to mails within one business day, like they should. Please suggest

4.6K Posts

December 11th, 2008 07:00

Welcome to the forums Vishakh :emotion-5:

You'll just have to keep on at them I'm afraid :emotion-42:

Try using the 'Online Chat' support option - which works in real-time, so you're not left waiting days for a response to your questions :emotion-55:

It sounds like you may have a faulty drive, in which case they should either send you a replacement, for you to swap-out yourself,

or send  technician/engineer out to do it for you, if you're not confident doing it yourself?

That assumes you have an 'on-site' warranty of course?  If it's a RTB (return to base) warranty, then the system has to be returned to a repair depot, unfortunately.

3.7K Posts

December 11th, 2008 07:00

Hi Vishakh, At the bottom of this page there is an link to, and called,  Unresolved Issues. If you have problems with Dell Support, thats the link you should use.  

December 11th, 2008 20:00

@Realfireblade : Thanks dude... Imagine my first post to be of tat sad nature eh? I am not really confident of doing it myself... I am pestering em but its funny how i have to face such a prob wen they have sent me a defective peice.  and yes i have onsite warranty. :emotion-6:

@Robin... Ya dude tried tat as well..... but all i am getting are automated mails.... :emotion-6:

15 Posts

December 11th, 2008 21:00

Well in my view Inspiron have a DVD problem at a large scale. I have inspiron 640m and have got the DVD replaced 2 times and in process for 3rd time.

The DELL tech support is useless in my HUMBLE opinion. They will put some non technical guys with fake accent who will provide answers by just looking at the Q&A database they have.

They would ask you to run the diagnostics test again and again.Or ask you to do bios update or firmware upgrade. None the less problem will still persist.

I had TSST DVD drive then got it replaced for OPTIARC with same burning issues.

The option of contacting DELL support is via email on the website. The response is much quicker than to waste time on the telephone waiting on hold. But dont expect some wonders out there.

The advice below may sound foolish but will actually work.

Here is the best you can, if you have complete cover. Take it to some high rise building and throw it down. Break it in such a way that its beyond repair. They will replace with another one. I am doing so if this third time it doesnt work.

No Events found!