Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 9th, 2008 18:00

DVD playback problem

Two months ago I ordered a Dell Studio 17 and straight out of the box I noticed it doesn't play DVDs the way it should.  Old or new it doesn't matter after a few minutes of playing it will pause/skip and take up to a minute to resume playback.  I'm not sure if it is a skip per se since there is no audio skipping, it just stops for a minute or two.

Studio 1735, Intel Core 2 Duo T8100, 2.1GHz, 800Mhz, 3M L2 Cache

4GB, DDR2, 2 Dimm

ATI MOBILITY RADEON HD 3650

250G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

8X Slot Load CD / DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

I think that is all the relavent information.  I haven't even tried to burn a dvd/cd out of fear it might screw up even more.  Has this problem been presented before and if so what was the solution?

75 Posts

September 9th, 2008 21:00

Stop, and exit from Dell media Direct . . when done search for windows media Center, open it, open DVD, find and play the DVD in the drive using WMC.    If it plays perfectly reach own conclusions . . .

20 Posts

September 10th, 2008 08:00

did you already deleted the upper and lower filter?

75 Posts

September 11th, 2008 14:00

With all respect to lothomax   Please do NOT just randomly delete your upper and lower filters should you actually find any.  This is Vista we are talking about not Win 98 /XP !

If you have deleted your filters then you will find that the bundled DVD burning program is not working as this installs and uses the lower filter driver PxHelp20.sys.  There is probably no Upper filter on the DVD drive out ofthe box.

To establish if the DVD drive is actually your problem . . .   Please close/exit MediaDirect completely with a DVD still in the slot then open the DVD to play tis time using windows Media Center.

20 Posts

September 15th, 2008 07:00

i know its vista, i have vista for about 2 Years, and i deleted often the upper and lower filter...
No Events found!