Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2017 06:00

Dell 660s desktop Optical drive is stuck open all the time

Drive tray comes out, and stays out all the time after start up. Push in and it closes, but pops out again.

Tray does close on shut down. Will not stay closed long enough to read a CD/DVD. Never had much luck with it

Trying to burn a DVD, no matter what brand or type of disk. Is a recurring problem with the Inspiron 660s desk top. Any help please!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 10th, 2017 14:00

how do you power drain a mother board?

Mr GARY W GOW

Power the computer off, remove power cord from power supply, followed by holding power button in for 10 to 15 seconds.

Bev. 

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

May 2nd, 2017 06:00

Hi garygow53,

Thanks for posting.

First thing that comes to mind is to make sure there is nothing blocking the door from closing all the way, sometimes the cowling around the drive will interfere with its operation. Next thing would be to check to be sure the drivers are up to date for your computer and for the drive.  

If all that's okay, possibly removing the drive from the case and re-seating it may help. http://dell.to/2qtFIRY

If that's not working, try replacing the drive with another one to see if it's a hardware or software related issue.

And, if all that fails, please contact Tech Support for additional troubleshooting.  Thanks.

May 4th, 2017 10:00

REPLACED DRIVE UNIT AND IT WILL OPERATE (open&close) BUT DOESN'T RECOGNIZE DISK IS IN DRIVE. WHEN I CLICK ON DRIVE ALL I GET IS A "INSERT DISK IN DRIVE" MESSAGE.

THANKS

GARY

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

May 5th, 2017 05:00

Did you update the driver for the replacement drive unit?

May 10th, 2017 08:00

Hi,

Try power drain method to discharge your motherboard. May be after a power drain your issue will get solved. If you still face the issue, please go for i/o driver update and bios update.

Hope it will solve your issue.

May 10th, 2017 09:00

how do you power drain a mother board?

1 Message

May 10th, 2017 10:00

I HAVE THE SAME DVD DRIVE PROBLEM ON MY LAPTOP, A DELL INSPIRON 15r 5537. WINDOWS 8.1

THE TRAY POPS OUT FOR NO REASON, I CLOSE IT AND IT HAPPENS AGAIN.

I HAVE TO WORK WITH THE TRAY OPENED.

I WAS ABLE TO READ DISCS BUT NOW I CAN´T.

DRIVERS ARE UPDATED. I TRIED REMOVING THE DRIVE BUT STILL MALFUNCTIONING AND THERE IS NOTHING INTERFERING WITH THE CLOSING OF THE DRIVE.

May 11th, 2017 12:00

THIS WORKED!

Mr GARY W GOW

Power the computer off, remove power cord from power supply, followed by holding power button in for 10 to 15 seconds.

Bev.

May 11th, 2017 12:00

THIS WORKED!

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

May 11th, 2017 13:00

Mr GARY W GOW

Bev.

No Events found!